Need an opinion on calipers.

skstang

Established Member
I have been thinking about painting the calipers on my Mineral Grey 03 yellow. They make a kit from Eastwood. So how do you think that would look?

skstang

Established Member
I think yellow would stand out the most. Red doesnt do it for me. 16 views and only one response. Sure is allot of people on here without opinions. Dont care, allright!!

SonicMike

Established Member
i think they look nice the way they are, but I'd like to see some pictures should you decide to paint them.

Mike

ml110

Established Member
:bash: Sorry but that sounds nasty, but to each his own.
you $$$ the car....IMO

03blownvenom

Established Member
I think it would look pretty cool.. The only issue I've heard is that paint on the calipers seems to retain heat which is what you want to eliviate. I might be wrong but just my .02 cents

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
only color IMHO to paint calipers is performance red.. I know they will look good since the calipers on the Electron Blue Z06 are red.. and they look great..

a94cobra

Established Member
Well, if you are gonna do them, keep this in mind. Everybody does, or has the red ones. Yellow would be a good change. And I think yellow might look good on the min grey car. I would like to see the finished product though. You said Eastwood makes a kit. What is this kit? A can of spray paint?

skstang

Established Member
Never used it dont know how easy it is to use. Can always go over it with black if it looks like hell.

Price: $ 47.99

BRAKE CALIPER COATING SYSTEM YELLOW
Item-no 10271Z

High Temperature Brake Caliper Coating - Eastwood's new caliper coatings are designed for both street and performance applications. Heat resistant to 900 degrees F and easily applied without removing or disassembling the caliper. Our caliper coatings feature a high gloss finish that will not fade with heat or UV exposure. The complete kit provides step-by-step instructions, 2 component color/activation system, mixing jar, stir stick, degreaser and application brush. Coating self-levels to a hard gloss finish that protects calipers from corrosion and chemicals. Enough product to coat 4 calipers.

Silver 03 Cobra

skstang, here is a few pics of my calipers. I painted the calipers on my 99 and 01 Cobras with the same paint. I used Plasti-Kote Engine Enamel found at Autozone. It doesn't fade and it holds up very well including Eagle One Wheel Cleaner that is pretty potent stuff. Here's my silver 03. I pulled the calipers and used masking tape to mask off areas like the Cobra emblem and use a razor blade to trim the tape. If you get it close and then spray up under the edges it coats very well. I recommend Ford Red for your car.

IM000229.jpg

IM000234.jpg

IM000235.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

skstang

Established Member
That looks very nice Silver. The kit I was looking at from Eastwood was a brush on. I would rather not remove the calipers if I dont have to. Are you saying you just masked everything off and left them on to paint? If so maybe that is the route to go.
Thanks for the picks. You seem to help me out allot. Still no Mil's on your exhaust?????? I'm still waiting on Bassani to get there shit together..

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Removing the calibers on a Cobra are cake they are held on by 1 pin it is allot easier then taping everything off. I wouldn't remove the brake lines though that's a PIA to rebleed. I have a Sonic Blue and would possibly do Blue but am afraid of heat retention causing problems. I wouldn't do red because that is what the Viper has.

Silver03Snake those 2-piece rotors look great.

Silver 03 Cobra

skstang, no problem. I pulled mine off. It is pretty easy. I bought a vacuum hand pump for brake bleeding from Autzone for about $40.

You could mask them off pretty easy while they are on the car. I actually had a hard time getting my pads back in and marred the paint a little so I masked them off while they were on the car and get them a final coat. You could also take them off the rotor and leave the line connected so you could manipulate them while you cleaned and painted them. The car being fairly new they will not have a lot of brake residue built up so they will clean easily. I painted my 99 and 01 calipers after the y had a lot of miles on them. I would recommend pulling them with that many miles so you could do a good job cleaning them.

No MIL's yet after 2400 miles. Dang, I got to quit driving so much.

Thanks tofast4u.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread