Need affordable good engine build gages - Home builder budget

texas_snake

Established Member
So my Teksid block is at the machine shop. Got my pistons in. I am planning out all my semi blueprint checks during my build. I need to get several tools, but my concern is how to be accurate enough to feel confident in the build, but do so on a home build budget, not a machine shop budget for tools.

Things I need:

Micrometers 2 - 4" (want it to read .0001" as close as possible)
Dial bore gage 2 - 4" (want it to read to .0001" as close as possible)
Dial bore gage base (end play)
Or
Telescoping Gages?
ring grinder
piston ring compressor

Also ideally a local option for engine stand (anything good at harbor freight for our engine size)?

In general like many things, the more $$$ the better the quality. But looking for a compromise that perhaps others have used.

Thinking of Shars 303-4728 for bore gage.

Thanks

Last edited:

zredfire04

Established Member
Don't understand the need for bore gauges and 4" micrometer. Machine shop should hone to the pistons and label which piston goes where.

If you're getting file fit rings, a ring grinder and feeler gauges are needed. A ring squaring tool is highly recommended.

Then just use plastigauge for bearing clearance.

You can use feeler gauges for end play too.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have the red 2 ton engine stand from Harbor Freight. It's pretty solid. I've had multiple engines on it with no issues.

Bore gauge- https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009Q5EZBK/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't find the micrometer set I ordered. It wasn't much more. I also have a digital micrometer from Harbor Freight. I've calibrated them all since I have the ability at work. They all checked good. If I was running a professional machine shop I'd step up to Mitutoyo or Starrett. But since I use them roughly once a year they work for me.

You don't need a ring grinder. Just make sure you file square to the edge. That's how I did the rings in my Boss set up. I used an upside down piston to make sure they were square in the bore. when I checked them with the feeler gauge.

texas_snake

Established Member
Good info. Regarding why the bore gage, I am going by the rule (written in many books) never trust the machine shop and always double check. Even a good shop might have a miss now and again, don't want it to be me without knowing about it and addressing it.

Users who are viewing this thread