Need Advise. Will I Have an Issue with my Tune Driving Over Mountains?

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I'm needing some advice. I've got a new assignment in the midwest and need to drive my car from Washington state to Kansas where the car will go into storage for a couple months. My car has a 2.93" pulley and supporting tune for 92 octane. Will I have any troubles with this tune going over the mountains? I don't know what octane is available in Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming. My tuner was programed with a Race Tune, Street Tune, and "Bad Gas" tune. I'm thinking I should either drive with the street tune or bad gas tune and buy several bottles of octane booster to be safe if I can't find 92 octane. The vendor I had tune my car hasn't really answered my questions, but offered to sell me a new tune. I'm not against buying a new tune once I'm all set and moved to the midwest later this year, but right now is not a good time with selling and buying a new house. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Lance

ZOSO

colorados baddest eaton
Established Member
you shouldn't have any problems. here in colorado the highest we have is 91 and i will say that you wont need much more than that. just run the street tune and fill up with the highest oct gas you can find.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. We're taking I-80 across Wyoming/Neb so I don't plan on racing up any mountain passes. I definitely will have octane booster with me just in case and will stay out of boost.

Lance

wojowojo16

Established Member
put in the street tune and stay out of boost...

Even with the race tune, I don't think you would have any problems unless you went WOT.

What is the timing for the 3 tunes???

justa03

UVBNBIT
Established Member
I drove from ND down to AZ on the same tune on a 2.80 with supporting mods and never had a problem. Found 91 octane, at least, all the way down too. Car should make any adjustments it needs for the altitude on its own.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes your MAF will measure less air so the fuel system will compensate. Even if your MAF doesn't compensate properly (read less O2) this will just result in too much fuel being added making you run rich which is safe anyway.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
put in the street tune and stay out of boost...

Even with the race tune, I don't think you would have any problems unless you went WOT.

What is the timing for the 3 tunes???

That's what I was thinking, but wanted some confirmation. Trust me, I will stay out of boost since I'm trying to make good gas mileage driving across the country with today's gas prices. I wish I knew the timing. Thanks for the info guys.

Lance

Users who are viewing this thread