Need advise on rear end. Who has upgraded?

2012csgt

Established Member
I recently went to the track and pulled a 1.37 and a 1.39 60 ft time and my only worry was that the rear was gonna let go on the launch. I have an aluminum driveshaft but that's it. The rear is stock. Any suggestions on what I need to strengthen the rear? Thanks.

dannydr44

Established Member
Wow, that’s pretty impressive 60ft times. You’re certainly going to blow your differential sooner than later, that’s for sure. Depending on your budget, goals and how often you plan on hitting the track, I would weld the axle tubes and replace the differential with something stronger. You do have 31 spline axles from the factory but I’ve seen them fail before with they type of horse power that you’re running and sticky tires. Bare minimum, replace the differential, replace the axles with Mark Williams or Strange axles and weld up the axle tubes. Lethal Performance sells an axle upgrade kit but I would want a stronger differential (than the one they're offering) and the Moser axles are OK for what your doing.

2012csgt

Established Member
Wow, that’s pretty impressive 60ft times. You’re certainly going to blow your differential sooner than later, that’s for sure. Depending on your budget, goals and how often you plan on hitting the track, I would weld the axle tubes and replace the differential with something stronger. You do have 31 spline axles from the factory but I’ve seen them fail before with they type of horse power that you’re running and sticky tires. Bare minimum, replace the differential, replace the axles with Mark Williams or Strange axles and weld up the axle tubes. Lethal Performance sells an axle upgrade kit but I would want a stronger differential (than the one they're offering) and the Moser axles are OK for what your doing.

Thanks, I will check out Lethals kit. They are not far from me either. I figured I'm going to upgrade the transmission with Exedy clutches and shaft so I might as well do the rear at the same time. I do DD the car a lot so I need the right differential and I have to find someone to weld up the axle tubes too.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
we have a nice strange 31 spline kit available

we also have a 35 spline kit with c clip eliminators as well, you would need another diff for that setup

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
we have a nice strange 31 spline kit available

we also have a 35 spline kit with c clip eliminators as well, you would need another diff for that setup

Isn't the diff the weak link & not the axles??

It seems pointless to upgrade to another 31spline axle. Might as well go bigger spline or keep the stock 31's...

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Get rid of the spider gears! I broke my stock rear, replaced everything Ford racing 4:10's a Detroit Locker true trac and strange 31 spline heavy duty axles with c clip eliminators. I was gonna do a complete strange 9" but didn't want to give up my watts link!

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
I would reccomend TRZ Motorsports in Kissimmee to set you up. Call and talk with mike. He built HONDASAKI's rear and I think he's pretty happy with it. Think he went 1.32(?) 60 so far. Welded tubes in a jig, built a brace, welded LCA Brackets, etc. came out very nice and is apparently doing work. :beer:

HONDASAKI

Established Member
TRZ did a great job on my diff, at a very good price too. I burnt up my stock posi unit, melted the clutches and spun a carrier bearing on the stock unit. Upgraded to an Auburn Pro unit with stock axles. So far so good. I was going to go to 35 spine axle but it was adding up too quick (9" housing ends. Posi. Axles. Possible abs ring issues)

Users who are viewing this thread