Need advice

NOTASTOCKDOHC

Established Member
Alright guys I have been thinking hard about trading in my 2004 f150 fx4, super crew black exterior, gray leather, center console shift, sunroof, power sliding rear window ext. I have been wanting a lightning for along time. I guess for starters would you do it, and two what things do I need to watch for. The reason I want a lightning is I am a huge mustang guy, but I use a truck to to do misc things such as hual my quad. I can't have a truck and a stang, my wife said no, so a lightning is perfect, it's a truck and has the power of a mustang. So win win, plus they look awesome.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
I basically did the same thing going from a Lariat to a Lightning. My fiance' thought I was crazy doing so...

The Lightning has been my favorite ride thus far, even topping my notchback.. If you can control the mod bug you will love this truck either way.

I'm not sure if you had a chance to read this thread but it will answer alot of basic questions for these trucks.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...look-here-first-before-posting-questions.html

Last edited:

NOTASTOCKDOHC

Established Member
Anyone else? The only thing I worry about is snow and space for stuff. Oh and getting one financed, just because of the age of these trucks.

Robert Francis

Established Member
You'll find that a few guys drive their Lightnings in the snow, but most of us don't. It won't handle anything like your current FX4 in the snow.

NOTASTOCKDOHC

Established Member
I mean I don't plan to drive it on the snow, it will be a dd most of the time though. But sometimes it snows out of no where and I may have to drive in slightly snowy roads.I have drove my old 96 cobra sc in the snow it sucked but I did make it home lol. And yes my fx4 is great in the snow.

Dusten

Established Member
Do you need the crew cab? If so, find a Harley. I have had no problem getting financed on older rigs, just look into credit unions, they tend to have different rules.
The lightning is no less reliable than your FX4. Fuel mileage wont be much different, you'll lose some towing capacity and the ride is more harsh.

NOTASTOCKDOHC

Established Member
I don't have to have supercrew. I have no kids so really don't need all that room. I don't mind a harsh ride, I like it, reminds me of a stang. Mpg doesn't bother me I drive 10miles a day that's about it. How do you get a loan at a credit union, if I trade my truck to a dealer ship.

NOTASTOCKDOHC

Established Member
I hope soon. Let winter break before I do. Cuz I be screwed lol. I got to decide on what color and year I want. Probably 2001 or newer, I like black white or sonic blue, maybe silver.

Dusten

Established Member
I don't have to have supercrew. I have no kids so really don't need all that room. I don't mind a harsh ride, I like it, reminds me of a stang. Mpg doesn't bother me I drive 10miles a day that's about it. How do you get a loan at a credit union, if I trade my truck to a dealer ship.

the ride isnt mustang harsh, just not smooth. As far as loans at credit unions, there are lots of ways. your dealership may have connections to credit unions(i bought my 2010 tahoe through a local chevy dealer, and the best rate they got me was through a local credit union.)
Or you can search out a local credit union, become a member, go to the dealer, get a purchase order showing all the details and take it to the credit union and get the loan. The CU will pay the dealer. Lastly you can buy the L the way i did. My credit union offers blank check loans up to a certain dollar amount(depending on what you request). You simply find the rig you want, make the deal and write the check for the amount. The blank check is good to a set amount and you can write it for any amount up to, that dollar amount. the Credit Union will not however approve it for a rig worth less than what you wrote the check for(ie $40,000 loan on a 2002 mustang GT). Really, all this will depend on your credit. I didnt trade anything in towards my Lightning as I was driving a Focus SVT at the time, and My wife had the tahoe which we had no intentions of selling. So i sold the Focus first and then took the check for the L to the mans house.

NOTASTOCKDOHC

Established Member
Very nice, I am a member if a credit union. Fort Knox credit union. Nice advice. I will try to sell my truck outright, but might have to trade it in. Idk yet.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1, get the L and don't look back. I bought my first 03 in 2004 and missed it ever since. i'm def glad I have another one.
About the blank check, USAA did that and the dealer was wanting to make sure it cleared before they gave me the vehicle. So it seems cool but not all dealers will take it and give you the vehicle. Only had to wait 3 days though.

Dusten

Established Member
I had one dealer do that, but they just contacted the local navyfed branch and worked it all out

NOTASTOCKDOHC

Established Member
So what if I trade in my fx4 at a dealer for a lightning can I say I want the credit union to do the loan ( the credit union pay off what I owe on my truck as I trade it in, and swap my truck for the lightning? ) unless my truck sells outright, I am going to trade it in.

NOTASTOCKDOHC

Established Member
Or what if I was to trade someone on svtp. I had my truck forsale on (other vehicles for sale) I had no straight out offers but I had probably 15 trade offers everything from termi's and mach, bullets, cobras ect. But I couldn't think of a way to do it. A way to get a loan to pay off the loan I have currently on my truck, my truck would then be released from the finance. Then I could trade, but I would need the new loan to apply to the vehicle I was trading for.

Dusten

Established Member
trading it in at the dealer and having the CU pay them is easy. The dealer will pay off the truck you own. Any value you have in the truck beyond what is owed will be applied to the purchase price of the new truck, you then get a loan for the remainder minus your down payment. Trading rigs between people that have liens on them is a pain in the ass and i wouldnt deal with that.

All in all, if you go to a dealer to trade your truck in, hammer out all the numbers and take the purchase order to your credit union. they'll know how to handle it

Users who are viewing this thread