Need advice

Mudd92

03 AB Mach
Established Member
Im not professional detailer, but I do try to buy decent quality products, not just Autozone and Walmart, and I enjoy spending a few hours detailing.

Anyways, im looking for some advice on my car to keep the paint in as good of quality as it is now.

I have a 03 mach, azure blue, and it has to spend its life outdoors, all elements, sun, rain, everything. I DO have a carcover, but i end up not using it because I like to drive my car alot, and after a few hours driving its dirty and I hate to drag something across the paint, because now it has fine scratches from the past doing that...:bored:

Can you guys tell me how to keep it best protected? Heres what I do as of now. And I do have A PC buffer.

I wash it once a week, vac interior, apply 303 aerospace all over the plastics, and usually a wipe down of the seats (please recommend a leather cleaner and protectant)

Once a month I wax it, which right now, im using the Meguires wax, sometime I use the cleaner wax.

Generally will wax every 6 months..

Im sorry for a long thread, but im looking for advice to keep my car in great shape without a garage, but I dont want to spend 1000$ on detail supplys because I dont think I need that.

And im also looking to remove the swirl marks and fine scratches....thanks everyone

And if anyone is local in Savannah, i would like to know a price on a professional to detail my car, with all the works, scratch removal, etc etc.

stangaholic280

Established Member
Don't have any specific answers for you, but if you browse this forum for a bit all of these questions will be answered. Tons of pics of people washing/waxing/removing scratches, etc. Just find what you want and see what that person did! Good luck. :rockon:

MAXSE2kMT

HAIL THE AMBER LAMPS!
Established Member
It depends on the level that you want to take it to. Imo you won't get the clarity and look you seem to be wanting without a proper correction detail. Trying to do it by hand won't achieve the results you seek and you can certainly jump in with a pc, but practice first on a the beater or scrap pieces.

Either way, when you are washing you want a lot of lubricity. When I wash I always pre-rinse with the pressure washer than use the foam cannon to grab and remove as many loose particals as possible. I use a grout sponge from Lowes for my washing, using the 2 bucket method with a grit guard. I also use a different sponge for the lower portions of the car that see more road grime and tar. When I dry I use a waffle weave to gather as much of the water as possible without dragging it across the paint. I then use a leaf blower to chase any remaining water and blot it with the ww.

As far as wax, when it comes to durability I don't think anything beats Collinite 845 insulator wax. I use this for the fall and winter and go with Blackfire wet diamond in the spring and summer because I reapply more frequently. I can probably go on for hours, but I'll leave you with the above to start.

Mudd92

03 AB Mach
Established Member
Yeah ive been doing some mild research, on here and autogeek. I do use 2 buckets, i use a diffrent brush for wheels and car. I do dry with a blower and chamois.

I think she really needs rotary attention, so thats why Id like to try and find a local pro. And get some pricing, and then from then I could probably handle it myself.

Is wash once a week and waxing a month is that good to help protect the paint from fade, dirt, turds, etc lol.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

jrock817

The Sandman
Established Member
go to autopia.org and spend an hour or two researching how to videos and reading up a bit. you need to realize what level you are willing to take yourself before approaching a professional. detailing is an awesome hobby, not a cheap one, but a rewarding one. do yourself the favor of researching it a bit more

Users who are viewing this thread