Need Advice !!

Osiris_SVT

SVTHC
Established Member
This message is mainly directed towards RTSabler51 because he seems to know a lot about clutch chatter. But anyone with advice is welcome to give suggestions.

In February of this year I had a SPEC stage 2 clutch and a Fidanza flywheel installed. Ever since then, the clutch has not stopped making noise in 2 different ways:

1) is clutch chatter when I am sitting in neutral with the clutch released, there is a lot of clutch chatter (its REALLY loud). I know that RTSabler51 mentioned that clutch chatter can happen with this particular combo of clutch & flywheel, but I am wondering if that is only a characteristic of a clutch that has been in use for a while. Is clutch chatter something that happens gradually as the parts get older? should I be hearing as much as I do with such a new installation?

2) is when the car is running cold, after sitting parked for 3-5hrs (even on a warm day), when I am releasing the clutch into 1rst and sometimes from a low rpm shift into 2nd gear I get an ear peircing grinding niose. This noise goes away after about 5-10mins of use for whatever reason (strange, no?).

I took my car into my mechanic right away, who told me to contact SPEC. SPEC said that sometimes the clutch makes noise in cold weather. So, I ignored the sound in hopes that it would go away when the cold weather did. No such luck! It is now much warmer, and the car still makes the noise. Maybe even worse than before.

Is it possible that the clutch was improperly installed (loose pressure plate, broken bearing, or low fluid?) and it still make this noise and have it go away after 5-10mins of use. Or maybe just a defective product?

The noise is worse than someone running their fingernails down a black board. It sounds like 2 improperly matched gears are fighting inside my transmission and bending each other in sleeper holds of fury.

So, I am now kind of stuck. I originally paid good money for this stuff. And now I am wondering if I will end up having to pay a ton more money to fix this thing and maybe even have to buy and new clutch and/or flywheel, even though this is not my fault. Should I demand that my mechanic fix it for free or what? What is a tactful way to do this?

Please if anyone has any kind of knowledge or advice on this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

It really sucks having people notice your car because it looks nice, and then when you go to pull away all you see is the cringe on their faces when they hear the loud sound of grinding gears. I can almost hear their thoughts of "What a peice of junk" going through their heads.

Please help me.

:cuss: :mj: :fm: :smmon: :bash:

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
Number 1 is quite normal.

Number 2 is something wrong. Quite possibly the hydraulic T/O bearing. However diagnosis without "first hand" testing a few other things (like free play in gears and lb/ft resistance) is quite hard.

Either way, YES, the mechanic is liable if it is installation error. (like not following the meticulous steps in the Ford service manuals!) Most shops butcher R&R jobs on this platform.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I concur with Greg as usual. :)

My Spec Stage II and Spec (Fidanza) Flywheel combo has probably about 1500 miles on it now and it still chatters quite a bit. IIRC, Greg alluded this is due to the 'upgraded' PP? I get weird looks regardless since I'm in 1) A Contour 2) because its a 4 door 3) I have clutch chatter

Osiris_SVT

SVTHC
Established Member
If the problem with my screaming clutch is a hydraulic TO bearing, would the noise still go away after a few minutes? Is that possible?

Oh, and off topic.. RTSabler51.. I love the Walken 2008 ad. Its too bad the whole thing is a lie. I would vote for him, if I lived in America.

Users who are viewing this thread