need advice on turbo's & superchargers

venemous99cobra

Established Member
hey guys, i am just wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions about turbocharging my cobra... i wondering how much i should expect to pay (installed) for a nice turbo kit for my 99 cobra? where should i look? also, should i try to go for twin turbos so that lag isn't as much of an issue? how would the powerband compare to that of a centrifugal sc? also, what rwhp numbers might i expect from my car at say 8psi of boost and all of the exhaust and intake goodies? i know that it would be more than if i had a vortech, but how much really? also, how loud is the turbo itself? i want to have a loud blowoff valve, but i would like the turbo to be pretty quiet...is that even possible with a turbo setup? i guess i obviously don't know much about the subject so whatever anyone could tell me would be great! thanks a lot!

chknhwk

Originally posted by venemous99cobra
hey guys, i am just wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions about turbocharging my cobra... i wondering how much i should expect to pay (installed) for a nice turbo kit for my 99 cobra? where should i look? also, should i try to go for twin turbos so that lag isn't as much of an issue? how would the powerband compare to that of a centrifugal sc? also, what rwhp numbers might i expect from my car at say 8psi of boost and all of the exhaust and intake goodies? i know that it would be more than if i had a vortech, but how much really? also, how loud is the turbo itself? i want to have a loud blowoff valve, but i would like the turbo to be pretty quiet...is that even possible with a turbo setup? i guess i obviously don't know much about the subject so whatever anyone could tell me would be great! thanks a lot!

WOW. Yes, you need to read. ;-)

Ok, I'm going to give this a try even though I'm not an expert. ;-) The kit I've been looking at is from Turbolocity.com and is $6500. That is for a single turbo kit not installed. Installation charges is dependent upon the shop but since I've never been quoted for an install I'll leave it alone. Also, check out turbomustangs.com.

Some of the new turbos out would have such good spooling characteristics that lag could be virtually eliminated but still yield close to 600 rwhp. A twin would probably spool even faster but the cost would honestly make it exorbitant. I was contemplating dropping about $10k at Hastings on Hudson for a custom twin kit on my '98 Cobra but then I started thinking: Would I even make use of that if a single can get me in the 800 rwhp area? Nah, I'd go single. The size of the heads compared to the old 5.0's makes packaging a nightmare.

How would the powerband compare to that of a centrifugal supercharger and what rwhp can you compare to a s/c?
The powerband would actually be quite similar and for rwhp you could get the same but turbos are more flexibly - meaning you could drop/rais boost at the drop of a hat; possibly even push of a button. RWHP isn't what you should be worried about though if you want to make full use of a forced induction kit.
Let me use my SVT Contour as an example. Two kits: Vortech and single turbo kit from Street flight. Now, this is on a 2.5L V6 (well, a stock SVT Contour...) but for comparable power levels the turbos are coming out of the box with as much as a 50 front wheel torque advantage!! On a 2.5!! Imagine what a turbo can do for your torque curve??!

I won't speculate on 8psi of boost with 'all the intake and exhaust goodies' because some are more boost friendly than others. (Stay away from Flow's on turbo'd cars)

As for sound? They all vary a little bit but you can definitely get loud blow off valves. :D Turbo XS makes a pretty loud one.

Well, I hope that helped at all. Let me know if you have any more questions but definitely check out turbolocity and turbomustangs.

Good hunting!!

venemous99cobra

Established Member
thanks a lot for the help! a turbo sounds like a really cool way to go, esspecially since i know the torque would be insane! i didn't really know too much about turbo'd cars, since not many people have a turbo'd stang, but you really helped, so thanks! i am wondering now though...would i still be able to do all of the mods that i would do with a s/c and get similar gains? i wanted to install a full bassani exhuast (midlenghts, catted-x, and c/b), so would that sound/work well with a turbo? also, since i know you can have a boost controller to change boost, would i just turn a nob and raise it to whatever? could i cruise around at say 2 psi for totally stock drivability and then turn up the nob and get nearly instant boost? also, i know that a sc'd car doesnt produce any boost unless you open up the throttle (most of the time it's in vaccum mode), but would a turbo work the same way? i don't want to drive around with constant boost...also, doesn't a turbo's power kinda just surge up really quick as oppossed to a sc that comes on more gradual. I know that i have a lot of questions, and i guess that it is obvious that i don't know a lot on this specific topic, but i am very interested in a turbo, so any help would be great! thanks a lot!

BlackGT

SVT God
Established Member
Also if you have free flow exhaust such as No cats and/or a larger conical air filter will also increase the sound of the turbo and of course raising the boost, my friends 95 Eclipse GST sounded like a dam semi truck cause of how loud his turbo would spool! it was awesome. hope this helps.

BlackGT

SVT God
Established Member
no actually the boost in instantneous in a supercharger and the power from the turbo is more gradual

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Originally posted by BlackGT
no actually the boost in instantneous in a supercharger and the power from the turbo is more gradual

Well, it depends on what type of s/c you're talking about. A centrifugal s/c makes more boost the higher the rpms go. A roots-type or twin-screw s/c makes instant boost. And, like the centrifugal, turbos make more boost at higher rpms. Also, power tends to come on quickly at high rpms.

venemous99cobra

Established Member
thanks again for all the help guys! i have been seriously thinking about a turbo, but i'm not sure of exactly what i want to spend. my main concern is that i don't want to have to deal with the constant whine of any type of turbo or s/c...i love the sound that the 03 cobra's eaton m112 makes at wot, but i don't think that i would want to listen to that all the time...same with a turbo...a loud bov is great, but i don't want to hear lots of mechanical noise over my exhaust all the time. is that what i will get with the turbo? how about the vortech v-2 SQ series of superchargers? does anyone have any experience with those? or even kenne bell (if they can finally get a package together for the 99/01's that is, hehe)? anyway, thanks again, and happy 4th to all!

psikillz

turbo 94 cobra
Established Member
i wanted to install a full bassani exhuast (midlenghts, catted-x, and c/b), so would that sound/work well with a turbo?

If you go with a turbo you will need to use different headers. They will be included with whatever turbo kit you get.

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
the "rumor" about the kenne bell kit is they will be out in january.
I just went to my buddies shop the other day and heard his SQ vortech and it was not nearly as quiet as i thought it would be. Then my other buddy with one said that they get louder the older they get.

Mike

mikew1000

Established Member
venemous99cobra,

I have a turbo kit on my 01 Cobra and see that you are in NJ. Send me a PM and maybe we can hookup and give you a ride in the car. I live just across the border of NJ. This way you get to see the car first hand and experience the turbo as it spools up and sets you back in your seat.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread