Need advice on trade....please

SVTJONES

Established Member
I have a contour 1998 contour svt with 82k on it. The only thing that is not stock is the resonator was removed. I believe the timing chain tensioners need to be replaced and 3rd sometimes grinds when getting on the gas hard. The air control knobs don't always turn the air on and the power seat does not want to go forward. Oh, I also need two tires.
A guy about 15-20 minutes found my car for sale on craigslist and wants to trade me his blue 1998 mustang gt. It has leather and the mach sound. I think it has a new exhaust from the pics. He us to have a csvt and wants one again because of kids and the wife wants it back. His car has 104k on it with four new tires. He says it runs strong and shifts good. He has only had it about three months and is working on getting the title mailed to him. He said he submitted all the paperwork to TXDOT and it should be here soon. He registered it in his name which I think you can't do without a title in Texas. He is excited and wants to trade soon and said if his title does not get here in a few days that we can trade and I can keep my title until I get his. I am not sure if this sounds fishy or not. I am also going to talk to him about enlisting in the National Guard instead of the Navy...I make $2k for that....nice bonus in the deal. Anyways what do you guys think? What things should I look for that is common with the stangs? Thanks and sorry for the long post.:shrug:

Juruense

Banned
Is it an even trade or is some cash involved or what?

He has not even had the GT long enough to get the title and he is already looking to unload it? That is suspicious to me.

SVTJONES

Established Member
He said something about giving me a little cash. But otherwise even trade. He might have the original signed title from when he bought the car. I forgot to ask though. I would think to register it he would have had to have something because you can't register a car in your name in Texas with nothing. He said we could also call TXDOT to confirm everything.

Juruense

Banned
You are giving up a SVT car to get a higher mileage plain old GT. Its not a good deal at all IMHO. Is a 98 even Performance Improved or does it have the PI swap? That GT is probably going to need shocks, brakes, clutch, etc as soon as you get it.

SVTJONES

Established Member
My car is a 98' as well tough. The kbb price at fair value for each puts the stang $1300 above mine. Remember mine needs about $900 in repairs for the timing chain tensioners and possible tranny work within a year. 3rd gear grinds when I floor it and shift into 3rd. It is a very small short grind but it is there.

What is the PI swap? I am not very knowledgable about stangs yet. I mainly know rx7's. The link has a pic of the engine bay if that helps.

Juruense

Banned
At some point, 1997 I think, GTs got better intake, cams, heads as part of a performance improvement package. I think the 98s have it. I still say get CASH for your car and then get something reliable.

98 GT with 104k <> reliable

SVTJONES

Established Member
What if I get some cash in the deal as well, like $500? I can put that immediately into the car or save for a rebuild. I am in the dallas area and have tried to sell my car for a while and everyone flakes out. I need it gone. I am worried that the tranny might need rebuilding/replacing soon. That can get pricey. Add that price into the timing chain tensioners needing replaced and I would think that would be $2000+.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
99 was the first year for the performance improvement. the whole story sounds fishy but i would give the car a chance, you never know it could be a good car. have it looked over by some one who is more familiar with the car

SVTJONES

Established Member
I will for sure have it looked over before I trade it and I want the title in hand as well. I am sure this is faster than my csvt.... right, and easier to work on.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
If I were you I wouldn't be so excited to do that trade. Sell it for cash and look for something else. Usually deals that seem to good to be true from people you don't know (especially on the internet) usually don't end well. You could be trading it for something that doesn't even work right.

The only way I'd do it is if he let you drive the car and have it checked out.

SVTJONES

Established Member
He said I could do whatever I wanted to in order to check it out. I did think about selling it for something else. It would probably sell for more and faster than my csvt with the problems it is or is developing.

SVTJONES

Established Member
How much do you think I could sell it for? Could I get more for it than my csvt? I was really excited at first but it seems this mustang would not be good in the long run as far as performance goes. I will still check it out just incase it is really nice and I can get some cash with it.

SVTJONES

Established Member
I have been in for 1.5 years now. I am 11 bravo. I love it. I got a nice bonus, tons of money for college, airborne school and a possible recruiter position soon. Actually right now I make $2,000 for a normal enlistment and up to $8,500 for others. Right now I am working on 8 people. I love the Guard right now.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I have been in for 1.5 years now. I am 11 bravo. I love it. I got a nice bonus, tons of money for college, airborne school and a possible recruiter position soon. Actually right now I make $2,000 for a normal enlistment and up to $8,500 for others. Right now I am working on 8 people. I love the Guard right now.

You made me think of the Van Halen song, Right Now.

Users who are viewing this thread