need advice on pulling motor

trans, leave it or pull it

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silversvt02

OIL FIELD BABY!!!!
Established Member
I am going to start pulling my motor really soon

Should I leave the trans bolted to the motor and pull them together, or unbolt it from the motor and leave it in the truck? What would be easer? I have done it both ways on other cars, what is the easyest way for our trucks?

203Cree

Established Member
Leave the trans in. Pulling the bell housing bolts and the converter bolts will be easier than anything you may end up having to do to get the whole package out. Or you could just pull the cab off the frame and do it that way.

booger

Established Member
There's not enough room to pull them out together with the cab on the truck.Just getting the engine out is bad enough.

slvrsvtlghtng

Established Member
I also just finished mine I unbolted the crossmember and the driveshaft and pulled it back and it made stuff so much easier.

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
For the 3 so far that have voted to pull them together - assuming you have actually done this, how about a brief how-to on doing it that way? It was bad enough just getting the motor alone out the top when I pulled mine.

Herb

silversvt02

OIL FIELD BABY!!!!
Established Member
herb101 said:
For the 3 so far that have voted to pull them together - assuming you have actually done this, how about a brief how-to on doing it that way? It was bad enough just getting the motor alone out the top when I pulled mine.

Herb

well you have to pull the core support off to get it out that way. I have done it both ways, and in some cases it is easer to pull them together, cause you dont have to fight the tourque converter when putting the eninge back in.

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
lightninmike said:
you actually remember doing this?? ;-)

Ouch - :lol: :fart:

I must have looked back at the pictures :read: .... I'm trolling for way to make it go back together easier.

I'm running a bit scared now with reading about your heads, Phil's plugs, Casey's crank and all of the other first built blues going around.

I'm going to look at the core support idea, since everything up there is out of the way and I want to respray the front bumper - it looks like the moon with all the rock craters in it.

Herb

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
yeah its no fun but i hope to hell yours goes together better than the rest of us
put it this way atleast your STILL at the same point as a year ago and the rest of us are BACK at this point. so your ahead of the game

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
silversvt02 said:
well you have to pull the core support off to get it out that way. I have done it both ways, and in some cases it is easer to pull them together, cause you dont have to fight the tourque converter when putting the eninge back in.

Does the core support unbolt? I was under the impression that the inner fenders and core support are integral with the body like a unibody structure. The pics in this post seem t show that too.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260628

Am I missing somthing on that? I hope so, cuz that wuld make it MUCH easier going back together for me.

Herb

svt5.4

SALLY NUTS RACING
Established Member
IMG_0310.gif

Pull the cab if you can, it is alot easier. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread