Need advice on possible Cobra buy!

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Okay check it out, today I went to look at a red Mustang Cobra at a dealership.

1995 Red Cobra, 5 Spd with a 5.0L with 105k miles on it.

Here is the thing that bothers me... The clearcoat on a lot of parts of the car are gone, and he even has admitted it possibly could of been in a wreck.

I did not test drive it, but I did rev it quite a bit and it sounded okay I believe, but a test drive would reveal all.

The interior was decent, but a part on the right side was loose, and it came with an Alpine cd player (CD deck in the trunk) w/ remote.

What bothers me is the price they want for this. They are asking $8950 for this car, and to be honest, I would not pay it.

So my question(s) are:

How much WOULD you pay for it?

Is there any known flaws in a stock 1995 Cobra?

Also, what are the specs of the beast? (HP, Torque, etc)

Thank you VERY much for your time!

Last edited:

1HellvaByte

Established Member
Hey man shop around def. you can pick a better one up for that price I recommend shopping around with private parties.

Here is the private party value of your car.

http://kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ur?kbb.TN;841069;TN119&38401;+p&722;Ford;1995 Mustang&10;FO;D9&&&

The dealer price is 8500 but that doesn't consider the cars condition and its sounds pretty rough to me.

I got a 97 Cobra with a Polished P1SC, chip, injectors, pump, sfc, gauges, tri-ax, full exhaust, 33k miles, for 14,500.

I recommend going with a mod motor. 5.0s are great but the market for the 4.6's is really taking off big time right now.

Just my .02

1HellvaByte

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by 1HellvaByte
Hey man shop around def. you can pick a better one up for that price I recommend shopping around with private parties.

Here is the private party value of your car.

http://kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ur?kbb.TN;841069;TN119&38401;+p&722;Ford;1995 Mustang&10;FO;D9&&&

The dealer price is 8500 but that doesn't consider the cars condition and its sounds pretty rough to me.

I got a 97 Cobra with a Polished P1SC, chip, injectors, pump, sfc, gauges, tri-ax, full exhaust, 33k miles, for 14,500.

I recommend going with a mod motor. 5.0s are great but the market for the 4.6's is really taking off big time right now.

Just my .02

1HellvaByte

My budget is no where near that. $7000 max. I want a bone stock car so I can work on it myself. The Cobra there needs a new paint job, SVT / Cobra emblems (scratched / faded out slightly), and some TLC on the interior (new interior parts). It'd be a great project car, I am just worried about the 105k miles.

97whitecobra

Established Member
Buy an early 90's LX 5.0 if you want bang for your buck. You could probably get a nice one, with enough mods to smoke that 5 liter Cobra for that price. That Cobra sounds like $hit. Get something that was taken care of. Don't go through a dealer either.

My .02 and Good Luck

Last edited:

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by 97whitecobra
Buy an early 90's LX 5.0 if you want bang for your buck. You could probably get a nice one, with enough mods to smoke that 5 liter Cobra for that price. That Cobra sounds like $hit. Get something that was taken care of. Don't go through a dealer either.

My .02 and Good Luck

Good idea, I will do that definitely. This Cobra needs a new paint job, as most of the clear coat is gone, it is EASY to tell it has been in a wreck.

Either way, a manual is the requirement, I am tired of autos and lack of MPG. I noticed when I drive manuals I am MUCH more focused on the road and how I am driving.. It would improve my skills as a driver I think.

Fox Body's ROCK, I just want a solid ride that sounds badass.. and that has a GOOD aftermarket.

This Cobra I think I could get talked down to $6000 or even $5500 after tax/title.

Still think that'd be a good deal? The Blue Book retail is $9,125

Last edited:

God

Established Member
if you have so many doubts for a car..dont get it, you shouldnt have to convince yourself..that should say soemthing right there..def shop around you will find something

97whitecobra

Established Member
I don't really pay much attention to what Blue Books say about stangs. They really don't know what market will bear IMO. They have no concept as to what a mint condition low mileage car is worth. As they aren't enthusiasts. I would buy a different car still. Who knows what that dealer is covering up and what other problems it will have.

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
i wouldnt buy it because the body sounds to be in rough condition. but i wouldnt worry about the motor i know at least two people with 5.0 cobras that still run strong at 150k. oh and the engine makes 240 hp and 280 lb ft stock

Lee

Established Member
Ford rated the 5.0 Cobra motor at 240 but they'll dyno about 235 to the rear wheels, stock. Do the math....

Users who are viewing this thread