Need advice on paint damage from tires

verbal

Established Member
I bought a 2015 M3 about two months ago. I have been having some major issues with rocks getting thrown off the tires and chipping the entire side of the car from the front wheel well lip, rocker panel, door edge, and rear quarter panel flare. The back tires are damaging the lip of the rear bumper wheel well. The damage is so bad that it is pitting the plastic on the rocker and rear bumper. The car only has 1,200 miles on it. At this rate the paint will be completely gone in several thousand miles.

The damage is clearly from the Michelin Pilot SS tires throwing gravel and sand against the car. Parked in my driveway the tires are covered with embedded gravel and sand. BMW does not offer mud flaps for the M3 and I really do not want to put them on anyway. The gravel has also eaten through the plastic paint protection on the rear quarter panel flare. No one else on the M3 forums seems to be encountering this and no one has any input.

I just sold my GT500 and it barely had a scratch on it. The GY tires on the Shelby had the same problem with kicking up rocks but never damaged the paint. My MDX which is also driven in the same conditions does not have a scratch on it.

Should I swap the tires out to something else? What performance tire would you go with that does not throw rocks like this? Also, any advice on what else I could do to protect the car? Any type of protective film is going to get trashed quickly.

The BMW dealer agreed that it is a problem and said that they are going to have a BMW rep look at it. I am pretty sure BMW will not do anything though and blame me. Even if they were to repaint the same problem would happen again.

Front rocker lip is the worst

IMG_1698.JPG

Rear bumper lip

IMG_1699.JPG

Rear fender flare above protective film

IMG_1696.JPG

Door edge

IMG_1695.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1698.jpg
    IMG_1698.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 448

MFE

Established Member
That's the price to be paid for super sticky tires, unfortunately.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
My Cobra does this too. I bought a sheet of 3M clear bra and covered all of the areas the rocks hit (side of back bumper). Problem solved and it was cheap.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Common issue on C6 corvettes as well. The Z and GS cars have the black plastic fender liners for that specific reason.

oldmodman

Established Member
My Cobra does this too. I bought a sheet of 3M clear bra and covered all of the areas the rocks hit (side of back bumper). Problem solved and it was cheap.

This ^

Just get a sheet large enough to cover the entire damaged area. Install it after the new paint fully cures. Don't drive it until it does or you will be right back where you are now, only 2K poorer.

verbal

Established Member
This ^

Just get a sheet large enough to cover the entire damaged area. Install it after the new paint fully cures. Don't drive it until it does or you will be right back where you are now, only 2K poorer.

Problem is it is most of the side of the car. I would have to pay to get both sides of the car wrapped.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Sorry to hear about this OP, but it seems the best option is to get a full clear bra done over the entire car after it's repainted. Changing tires can help if you get a less "sticky" tire, but the potential for damage is still there.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Glad on my gen the paint/fender does not come into the wheel well area.

Hated that part on my eclipses, they had that front fender by the door that came into the wheel well area and always got ****ed up.

Best you can do is 3M clearbra it. Above and beyond that, if you know you are going to do track time or whatnot is to tape it up.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
They make scratch resistant clear, they use it on public transportation stuff to help with vandalizing. The shit doesn't buff, its hard as a rock. That coupled with a clear bra and it may help.

Users who are viewing this thread