Need advice on dealership warranty

346CamaroSS

Established Member
My girlfriend just purchased a 2008 Volvo S80 about 3 weeks ago. The car is certified pre-owned and was supposed to go through some 130 point powertrain/exterior inespection and is still under warranty.

Over the last 3 weeks she started to notice a few things:
-small chip in wind shield
-car makes an extremely weird sound when turning it off, almost like a loud fuel pump priming.. The weird thing is it doesn't happen every time the car is turned off.
-car hesitates in reverse for some reason. I haven't felt this but apparently the service guy she brought the car to felt it..

Anyways, fast forward to now. The car is at the dealership and the service guys are "looking into" it. The day after she dropped the car off the service dept. called her back and told her they could not reproduce any of the things she was talking about, and that the rock chip was too small to fill at this point ...

I told her thats bs and she needs to tell them they are going to keep the car until they fix it, and if that the crack is indeed too small for them to fill, she needs some kind of guarantee in writing..

Not sure how to handle this one, if anyone could offer some advice it would be appreciated.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
If they can't duplicate the problems, not sure what they can do? You can go ride around with them until it happens. We've had mechanics roll around for an hour plus with a customer waiting for intermittent occurrences to take place.

As far as the chip, I know at our dealership, if its not inside the drivers arc and its less than 1/4 of an inch. Then it rolls according to standards. That doesn't mean if you don't press the matter, they won't do something about it.

s_x_i

Established Member
Once she buys the car and signs the "As Is" paperwork, it doesn't matter how long you tell her to leave it at the dealership, they are not obligated to fix it, the warrany company will be the one on the hook (or the manufacturer -depending on the claim)

She's had it 3 weeks - when she signed the papers, she took full responsibility for the car, as it sat there, with no real recourse to the dealer (not absolutely sure on Washington's laws) The dealer isn't obligated to fix any of it, what they do will be a good will gesture entirely at their discretion so make sure you're nice to whomever you're dealing with.

I sell used cars and it's extremely difficult to catch every fault - especially intermittent ones. Even though we inspect them and they go through basic maintenance before we sell them, we can't catch everything on every car.

Normally, I fix things for free if it goes bad within 30 days. I'm not obligated to, but word of mouth is the best form of advertising so I try really hard to take care of my customers.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
My girlfriend just purchased a 2008 Volvo S80 about 3 weeks ago. The car is certified pre-owned and was supposed to go through some 130 point powertrain/exterior inespection and is still under warranty.

I'd keep driving it and try to find a way to learn to make the issues happen under your control before the warranty runs out.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
If's it's Volvo CPO, keep taking it back. Even if the warranty runs out, you have it on-record that there has been a problem and they refused to fix it. I'd keep taking it back. As for the rock chip, come on, it could've happened while driving and it IS a used car. Your insurance company will probably cover it at no cost to you, since for them it's much cheaper to pay to fill a chip than it is to replace a windshield.

346CamaroSS

Established Member
Apparently one of the things the dealership found was he parking break does not completely release all the way, hence the hesitation in reverse.. The Volvo CPO program covers the below, so I'm assuming they will need to fix this. I'm going to tell her she should go for a ride along with them so she can try to reproduce that weird pump sound I heard.. Thanks for all the advice.

• Six-year/100,000-mile protection* covering replacement or repair of
defective components within the following systems:
— Engine
— Transmission
— Drive axle**
— Steering
— Suspension
— Brake

Users who are viewing this thread