Need advice on a new job oppurtunity. (communications)

Andrewmach1

Established Member
I have an oppurtunity to work for TrueNet communications as an installer. They install, rebuild, replace upgrade equipment units/towers for cell phone companies and such. Right now they're working on a tmobile contract getting all their LTE/4G in te area up and running.

This would be a fresh start for me into this type of field. Im 21yrs old and I have no background in this type of work at all. Right now I work at a hospital doing patient transport. But that job has reached it's max for me and I feel like I've hit a wall in my life, I need a change.

My question is; For someone like me, no background or knowledge in this field, would it be ok for me to jump right in and learn this stuff? I'm a quick learner, but as I said this would all be 100% new to me. I never went to college (I realize it's still not too late) and feel that everyone around me in these types of fields has previous education/knowledge. Is there anyone on here who started like me and did fine? I'd be getting hire through a friend of mine, actually my girlfriends brother in law, I don't want to jump into this and fail after having him push for me to get hired on his name. It wouldn't look good for him if that happened.

I guess I'm just looking for advice on how to start on the right foot.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Absolutely right for you to jump right in. The best jobs are the ones where you learn something new every day. Even if you have never done this before, by them hiring you they already trust that you will be an asset to the company. You will get the training you need and now you need to own the position in every aspect. Never hesitate to ask questions and take opportunities to learn from your peers. No one has to
know you've never done this before unless you tell them. If you go in and you do well, no one will know the difference. That is a great market to be in right now, considering the tremendous growth in smart phone usage and cloud computing, etc.

In addition, if you go in and bust your ass and it still doesn't work out, you will not leave your brother-in-law in a bad light, as you left it all on the table and it still didn't work out. I wanted to get into the installer position when I worked for Comcast (I was in internet support) but they wouldn't let me get out of the department easily and the company as a whole was just run terribly. Feel free to PM me if you have any other kind of questions, as I have worked in telecommunications a while.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Andrewmach1

Established Member
I appreciate the reply and support. My brother in law took in his cousin a few months ago, who also had no background in it either. Think he was a tow truck driver. He loves the job and already advanced, they gave him a company truck and stuff. Seems like a great company and opportunity. I don't want to let it pass by, I at least want to give it my best shot. Just nervous is all, which is to be expected.

I just need to get my life started already, feel like
I've been wasting the past few years. Ive been applying for a lot of new and different type jobs over the past weeks. I'm ready for big things, Im just regretting not making them happen before, when everyone else did. I guess I should've listened to my parents and went to school!! LOL.

Any idea on what the pay is like? Anythings better than where I'm at. I'm sure it will be in the offer letter they'll be sending me. Just curious now, after I had a quick sit down with one of the managers there. My younger brother (18) and I will be starting together. This is an even better chance for him to jump start his life with this career oppurtunity. I can only imagine if I had this chance when I was 18 where I would be right now.

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
hey andrew,

exactly what colormatched said. Im in the telcomm field as well, but the office portion of it. i do CAD for Verizon FiOS etc. its a huge industry. i started right out of high school with no prior knowledge to any of this. im now 5 years into it and have come a long way.

if theyre willing to train you, absolutely do it. chances are, the pay will be around $11-14ish starting out? a friend of mine just got into the electrical business and hes getting paid around $12 i believe with no experience whatsoever.

think of it this way, this career opportunity will open many doors ahead, should things ever not pan out with the company your starting with.

interested to know how it went! good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread