Need advice on 03 gt

Slone

I am new to mod motors, and aren't really sure how well they run.

Here's the situation: I am looking at a 03 gt 5 speed, with flowmasters, and has been lowered. I'd like to have it run mid 11s. I am a nitrous guy, but I'm not sure about running it on one of these motors. Anyone have ideas of the cheapest way to reach my goal?

Thanks, slone

jmc302

Established Member
Mid 11's, that's fast. I have heard from multiple sources that the stock bottom end on a GT is good to somewhere between 420-450hp, and with Cobra's in that power range running in the 12's I don't think your short block will live very long with that much squeeze being added. I would get a new short block with forged internals, have the stock heads ported, and put on an aluminum manifold (Bullit or Typhoon) to withstand the NO2. I'm not well versed in nitrous, but with cams and head work you can easily get over 300hp and add some big shots for the track. These engines are extremely durable as long as you build it to handle the power level you want.

DaBigBone

Established Member
I'd feel completely safe running ~450 wheel with a good tune. With some suspension work, good tires, and a good driver you could probably reach your goal.

Slone

A couple more questions...
The car has 176,000 on it. Is $4700 too much?

And also how much power could cams, and head work, on a stock bottom end? Would it hold a 150 shot?

And finally, how strong are the transmissions?

zacharyt1122

Established Member
Do a leakdown and compression test first. Mod motors will run forever if they are well cared for.

If everything checks out ok, swap out all fluids, motor, tranny, rear end, and as long as you know a good tuner a 150 shot without much else motor work shouldn't be as bad as some might think.

4.10's, slicks and you should be close to your goals, or at least in the low twelves. And the stock TR3650 is pretty stout, should have no problems with those power levels, just don't forget a short-throw.

GT500NN

Established Member
4.10's, slicks and you should be close to your goals, or at least in the low twelves. And the stock TR3650 is pretty stout, should have no problems with those power levels, just don't forget a short-throw.

The TR3650 is stout.. but not with 4.10s and slicks. I went through three of them in my 02 GT.

DaBigBone

Established Member
The TR3650 is stout.. but not with 4.10s and slicks. I went through three of them in my 02 GT.

I think it's really hit or miss with the 3650. I know some guys that have been running 500+ through theres for years with no issues, and others who have blown them with under 400hp.

asiansensation7

FALRLGALGHLAGLHALRRGLAG
Established Member
The 3650 isn't the best tranny out there, there are synchro issues that just about every SN95 Mustang owner experiences (especially with 2nd). The T-45 uses shift forks made of cheese though, which would probably be the more annoying issue of the two. 176k would probably be more miles than I'd be comfortable with in building a 11 second car. To reach 11s, you'll want major suspension upgrades, upgraded axles, slicks, weight reduction, full bolt-ons, and a big shot of N2O. It's been done before but it takes a lot of practice and broken parts.

Users who are viewing this thread