Need advice/guidance

eaglesnick

Established Member
Not sure if this is in the right section or not, if not, feel free to move to the correct section.

I don't want to go into too much detail in this thread at this point until more information is available. However, I have a built motor that has had some type of failure. There have been rumors that the particular place that built my motor has had a history of not installing what you pay for. The place that is building my new motor has agreed to document what is/is not in the motor. My question is what is the best way to go about documenting what was/wasn't installed and my course of action in the event I didn't get what I paid for.

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
Depends if your having them take the motor apart or buying a longblock from the new builder. Whats the builders warranty consist of? Did you break it in properly?

eaglesnick

Established Member
The motor is being disassembled because its supposed to have a stroker crank and forged connecting rods that we may reuse IF they in there and in good condition. The warranty was a 12 month warranty which has expired, however the new motor has less than 10,000 miles on it as it is a bit of a garage queen. As for the break in I followed the builders recommendation which was to go easy on it for the first 1,000 miles than bring it back in for a re-tune. Don't get me wrong I am not happy about the failure, but I am more concerned about why it failed after such few miles. My point isn't to have the motor "warrantied". My question is what recourse I have if there is no stroker crank, upgraded pistons, ARP bolts, the heads aren't ported, no cams installed ect.

40calcobra

Established Member
Did you have this suspect place build the motor or you bought the car with that motor? If I know a place is shady I wouldn't do business with them

eaglesnick

Established Member
They built the motor for me and I didn't know they were shady until after I had done business with them. It's a long story which WILL come to light if I find out that I didn't get what I paid for.

eaglesnick

Established Member
the shop in jersey?

As I said in my first post I don't want to give too many details as I do not want to name names or make any accusations in the event I did get what I paid for. My car goes under the knife the week of July 2nd. I am just trying to figure out if I should video the removal and disassembly of the motor for evidence in the event litigation is an option or if the documentation of the builder will be adequate.

mach1033

Established Member
As I said in my first post I don't want to give too many details as I do not want to name names or make any accusations in the event I did get what I paid for. My car goes under the knife the week of July 2nd. I am just trying to figure out if I should video the removal and disassembly of the motor for evidence in the event litigation is an option or if the documentation of the builder will be adequate.

Yes do a documentary that way there wont be any dispute. Take detailed pics to.

eaglesnick

Established Member
I will keep you all posted when I have more information as the motor will not be yanked until the week of July 2nd. I also spoke to an attorney and he told me to document and take photos of everything. If it turns out the shop didn't install the parts I paid for I can sue for triple damages AND attorney fees since it falls under the consumer fraud act. I will then start a new thread on my new build :)

mach1033

Established Member
I will keep you all posted when I have more information as the motor will not be yanked until the week of July 2nd. I also spoke to an attorney and he told me to document and take photos of everything. If it turns out the shop didn't install the parts I paid for I can sue for triple damages AND attorney fees since it falls under the consumer fraud act. I will then start a new thread on my new build :)

I assume the consumer fraud act is a federal law?

eaglesnick

Established Member
Not sure who you are referring to, but the great thing about the Consumer Fraud Act is that a big company can't try and bury you in litigation to the point you can't afford to continue pursue/prosecute them due to legal fees. The more they drag it out the more the fees add up and in the end THEY have to pay it, so they are more likely to pay you just to get it over with.

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
Not sure who you are referring to, but the great thing about the Consumer Fraud Act is that a big company can't try and bury you in litigation to the point you can't afford to continue pursue/prosecute them due to legal fees. The more they drag it out the more the fees add up and in the end THEY have to pay it, so they are more likely to pay you just to get it over with.

There have been threads started in the past where a motor was torn down and the parts that they payed for was not there.

eaglesnick

Established Member
I figured I would update this for those who were interested. The motor was torn down and the major components WERE in the motor. However, a bit of advice for those who have had engines built. Make sure your builder tells you exactly what pistons they are installing and what the compression ratio will be. Apparently the shop that built my motor uses the same piston in all their 2 valve, 3 valve and 4 valve builds. The shop that is doing my current build calculated the compression ratio to be about 10.5:1 based on the piston used and the stroker crank that was installed. According to the shop that originally built the motor, they said they cut reliefs into the pistons to lower the compression a bit and with the design of the 4 valve heads the compression ratio should be around 9.5:1. Regardless if it is 9.5:1 or 10.5:1 you should be very aware of this in the event you have the car tuned by someone else or this is what you could be looking at in the future:

carparts4005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread