Need advice. Can't get PS pulley back on!

junioRace

Established Member
Kind of a BIG problem, guess it could be worse. Was installing my RUSlow aluminum underdrive pulleys (water and power steering) this afternoon, everything going smooth until....I was pressing on my new power steering pulley. As i was pressing on the pulley, the bolt snapped off inside the pulley shaft. UGH! :xpl: The tool was a new one that I had rented from Autozone. So now I am stuck with a pulley that is half on the shaft. Any idea how I can finish pressing it on? Worse case scenario I guess would be having to pull the pump.

Hey, thanks in advance for any help. :beer: I gotta go have a couple of cold ones, now.

junioRace

Established Member
00blackbolt said:
You could go to sears and get there back out tool but you would still have to pull the pump. How tight did you thread it into the shaft?
I didn't overtighten the bolt when I ran it into the shaft, just kinda snugged it. My concern at the time was that I wanted it in as far as possible to make sure there were plenty of threads holding. Probably run by Sears tomorrow and see if they have an extractor kit to get it out.

How big of a job to pull the pump? Any idea? I KNOW it's gonna have to come out....

Last edited:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Its not to bad to pull out, the belt the hard line, the soft line and 4 bolts with a 10mm socket. make sure to get some new fluid also

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
My ruslow pulley was a bitch to get on. i stripped 4 tools before I figured out how to do it. I got an old belt, wrapped it around the pulley, and pulled on it with my foot while I pressed it on the the tool. Is any of the bolt hanging out the front of the pump?

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
I got an old belt, wrapped it around the pulley, and pulled on it with my foot while I pressed it on the the tool. Is any of the bolt hanging out the front of the pump?
Wraped the belt around the pulley in the normal fashion or like you were trying to push it on the pump. Like your feet toward the rear of the truck?
Just trying to get more info for this guy

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Wrapped the belt around the pulley and pushed it out the side of the truck. Just so the pulley can't move turn.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
There's a tool for installing them. Its heavy duty. Has a big bearing and about a 1 inch nut to hold it. They work good. Any Ford mechanic should have one in his box. It would make life easy.

junioRace

Established Member
Hey guys. Update for you (not much new...)

Went by Sears and invested in some bolt extractors (part #52155) and some very small titanium coated bits. Start pulling the ps pump tomorrow, and then (slowly and methodically) start trying to get the remainder of the bolt out. I'm thinking about using the dremel on slow speed and using a 1/16 bit to try and get a hole/groove so that I can then move on to an extractor bit. The bolt is broke below the top of the shaft, no chance on getting any needle nose vice-grips or anything on it.

Here's something else that hit me today. I realized theat the new pulley does not have a collar to attach the puller. Now I gotta also figure out how to get the pulley back off!!!!! I got an e-mail out to RUSlow to see what he says.

No, he's not making the pulleys as far as I know. I bought an unused set off a guy on NLOC back in February.

Also....any recommendations on what brand pulley installer/remover I should pick up. The one from Autozone seemed okay (until I snapped it), I just want to get one that is beefy.....grade 8 bolts? The one I rented from Autozone cost $40 if you bought it, I don't care if I have to spend twice that much...just don't want to go through this again. I'm also thinking if I can get the bolt out, I may just take it to a shop to get it pressed on.

Also, if the worst case scenario gets even worse....how much is a PS pump thru FORD???

Thanks everyone.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
have to use a regular pulley puller.....the new hub should have three tapped/threaded holes in it for the puller to attach to.

junioRace

Established Member
bgstew6 said:
have to use a regular pulley puller.....the new hub should have three tapped/threaded holes in it for the puller to attach to.
Ah yes, I wondered what those holes were for. Can you point me in the right direction for what type of puller?? Just a regular harmonic dampener puller? THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Last edited:

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
I belive so....

I installed my UD pullies a while ago with no issues, and have not had a reason to pull them off

Users who are viewing this thread