Need Advice Asap Power steering leak!!!

jadon087

Established Member
Long story short my car had been having electrical problems for the past 3 months and i been through 3 factory alts until i decided to get the car towed to the performance shop and had them rebuild my factory alt to 170 amps. Well once my car was at the shop they called me and told me my rack and pinion had busted out of some valve and had to be replaced.

I'm like ok whatever better to do it now so after they replaced the alternator and installed the new rack and pinion i get another call saying that power steering fluid is leaking from the tiny valve on my engine oil cooler. The guy who did the work is suggesting that the last person to install my alternator must have unhook some power steering lines and re ran them wrong, but i never had this problem before and didnt happen after my last alt was installed.

My car has been in the shop 1 month now and the only repairs done are new rebuilt alt, rack and pinion install, new idler pulleys, and new battery. I did go out to the shop and see the leak he was talking about but i am not a mechanic and couldnt diagnose exactly why power steering fluid would leak from my engine oil cooler.

I need some help guys i feel like it had to be something they did when hooking up the power steering rack but i cant prove it and my cobra has been garaged in their shop for a month and counting now. Thanks in advance

To credit the shop they are a reputable shop but mainly focus on porsches, beamers, and exotic luxury cars.:mj:

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Sorry to hear..I say find a new mechanic..

I suggest a fast home school..

In our stickys.before posting..in there..how to section has every thing. .

See how to rebuild oil cooler..has color pics and says whats bad on how it leaks..you can know more than this place fast..

Alt take less than 5mins to pull out bottom. .I do mine in parkinglot at parts store..

Rest is who knows..

This car is very easy to work on..

ZR5.0

Established Member
It'll be engine oil leaking outta the cooler, not PS fluid. As said above, straight forward to rebuild the stock cooler, most time consuming part is draining the cooling system.

Users who are viewing this thread