Need advice/ answers about a rattling cat.

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
My pass. side cat started rattling yesterday. All my exhaust is welded from the headers to the x pipe, and it's a 2 cat Bassani system. I couldn't see a no. on it, but the drivers side had no. JA/CE99000. Any idea if it's a Bassani cat or what it might be and where to buy a replacement? I'm not computer savvy, so I'm sure one of you guys can help me. The truck only has a chip, cai, and ftvb, as the other mods. Any idea as to cost of r and r? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Gripstang

KickPushKickPush,Coast..
Established Member
Why not just take it to a muff. shop and see what they say? You sure its part of the exhaust rattling?

Also with those mods (and the year) how the eff did ou get that et?! With the mods in my sig Id be waaay happy to get that ET and I have a lot more mods than you... share the secret...

Last edited:

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
Yes, it's the cat. I got under there and felt it and got close enough to hear it. Sounds almost like the heat shield but they are both tight. As for the time, it was 68*, and if I remember right DA was around 300 ft. I was running the et streets at 20lbs. dropped the spare and winch, tow hitch, and tailgate. The track was hooking very good that day. I guess I have and oddball that runs faster than normal. I was truly expecting to run 13.5 or so and was surprised to get what I did.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
fishin-nole said:
Yes, it's the cat. I got under there and felt it and got close enough to hear it. Sounds almost like the heat shield but they are both tight.

Earlier this year, my passenger side Bassani high flow cat did the same thing. It sounded like it was the heat shield with the vibrating, humming, high speed rattle.

Eventually, the ceramic bisquit inside broke free and would rattle around inside. It sounded like a metal box was being shaken inside the cat whenever I would start the engine. It would eventually wedge in place, but it would continually work loose, and wedge, work loose and wedge, work loose and wedge. Sometimes it would plug the exhuast outlet to the muffler, inhibiting performance. The bisquit finally broke apart enough to be expelled out of the pipe.

Then a couple of months ago, my drivers side high flow cat started doing the same thing with the rattle/hum. But I wasn't gonna go through this problem again, so I had the high flow cats cut out and replaced with a section of stainless steel pipe.

I don't think anyone has had a high flow cat hold up on a daily driver for more than 5 years. I dunno why, they all seem to eventually fail. Maybe my perception is wrong, but when I did some searching around the forums, I found quite a few threads regarding the failure of high flow cats.

Stewart

AZ ERIK

22's & a Whipple 4 shizzl
Established Member
Mine went, after 15,000 miles
08_12_06_1242.jpg

This is the ceramic trying to make it's way out, it was atleast jammed in there when they pulled the truck up on the lift
08_12_06_1241.jpg

I replaced both with a set of Car Sound cats, the drivers side was only like 2 years old if that. The passenger side is the one that broke. I figured replacing both might help with the odd idle. That turned out to be the throttle body came loose.

fishin-nole

Bone idle and work shy!
Established Member
Thanks for the replies, do I have to have my chip reburned if I delete the cats or will the mil elims. do the trick? My engine is basically stock other than the headers and the maf upgrade and I don't plan any till I get a 12 sec. slip. Are there any cats that are not gonna fall apart so soon? I'll pay the extra to not have to do this again in a few years.

02TrueBlu

Established Member
Great.... so thats what the rattling noise is... i also thought it was the heat shield. ill be removing the cats soon enough..

Users who are viewing this thread