Need advice. 4.6 SOHC or 5.0 OHV?

Om3ga47

PIIHB
Established Member
I am soon selling my Termi. I know it blows but too much on payments plus insurance atm. For a replacement I am looking at a 94-95 5.0, OR a 01+ GT w/ 4.6 SOHC. This is where I really need pros and cons. I wish to go heads cam and/or cams with spray for now. Later on who knows. My main concern is. Which powertrain is best to build off or upgrade internally later as well bolt on for a lower budget? At least for the modular I get the advantage of rpms but I lose displacement. Please discuss.Any help appreciated.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
If your planning on upgrading H/C/I, I would go with a 5.0 car. A nice set of heads with a good cam, intake(manifold and cai), full exhaust and a tune would get you 300rwhp+. About the same as a bolt on cammed 2valve, but alot cheaper. Throw a 125 shot on the 5.0 and you will be hauling. You wont be losing RPMs like you think buy going 5.0, my buddies old 95 Cobra pulled very hard at 4k to almost 6k RPM when he had a Trickflow Trackheat intake and a bcam. That intake was great, he had stock heads also.

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
Personally, I would also go 5.0. Easier engine to work w/, and cheaper to mod. I also have a soft spot for their body style except those horrid taillights. My opinon though.

You will have to keep in mind that 4.6s of the years you are looking for will prob. have less miles in general than 5.0s of those years.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
If you're want to go fast on a budget then I'd look for a foxbody 302. Starting off with a lighter chassis, better EEC than a 94-95 302, and parts are cheaper than the 4.6. Pick up some used GT40 H/I, and a 347 stroker kit. Should make some decent power then hit it with a 150 shot. -Mark

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
I would get a 4.6 . It has a MUCH stronger block. 5.0 is better for cheap power up until around 500whp. Then you end up spending alot for a better block.

riored94cobra

Established Member
if your planning on upgrading h/c/i, i would go with a 5.0 car. A nice set of heads with a good cam, intake(manifold and cai), full exhaust and a tune would get you 300rwhp+. About the same as a bolt on cammed 2valve, but alot cheaper. Throw a 125 shot on the 5.0 and you will be hauling. You wont be losing rpms like you think buy going 5.0, my buddies old 95 cobra pulled very hard at 4k to almost 6k rpm when he had a trickflow trackheat intake and a bcam. That intake was great, he had stock heads also.

+1

Om3ga47

PIIHB
Established Member
Keep in mind I want over 500 with spray....over 400 without. What bottom end mods should I go with rather than the obvious rods and pistons?

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
ARP Main studs and ARP 2000 rod bolts, Federal Mogul main and rod bearings. For 400rwhp on motor a 2v 4.6 won't do that.. at least on a budget anyways.

-Mark

Users who are viewing this thread