Need a new rear differential.

RJCobra

Established Member
Are these assemblies still available? The shop says they can't find one and it's gonna cost $2000-$3500 to rebuild it. Sounds like BS to me.

Last edited:

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
Are you talking about the 03-04 cobra diff??? If so search my threads, I rebuild these for a flat rate of $100. You supply the clutch rebuild kit, or I get it for you at cost from SummitRacing.com all you do is send it to me and pay the shipping both ways (shouldn't be much, I'm in Orlando). I can rebuild it the stock way or the alternet method (search for it on the internet). Also, if you want to do a gear swap, this would be the time to do it, I can do that for you as well. Let me know if I can help???

P.S. I would run away from a shop that would charge $2000-$3500 for a diff rebuild. I could rebuild the entire carrier w/ new bearings and new races and new seals, also new FRPP gears and new carbon fiber clutches, new S-spring and new pinion shaft retaining bolt, new gear oil and seal the cover, and it would not cost more that $500 for parts and labor, and even if you add shop labor to remove the carrier from the car and reinstall it back in the car it would not get any where near $2000-$3500 IMHO!!!!

Last edited:

RJCobra

Established Member
Are you talking about the 03-04 cobra diff??? If so search my threads, I rebuild these for a flat rate of $100. You supply the clutch rebuild kit, or I get it for you at cost from SummitRacing.com all you do is send it to me and pay the shipping both ways (shouldn't be much, I'm in Orlando). I can rebuild it the stock way or the alternet method (search for it on the internet). Also, if you want to do a gear swap, this would be the time to do it, I can do that for you as well. Let me know if I can help???

P.S. I would run away from a shop that would charge $2000-$3500 for a diff rebuild. I could rebuild the entire carrier w/ new bearings and new races and new seals, also new FRPP gears and new carbon fiber clutches, new S-spring and new pinion shaft retaining bolt, new gear oil and seal the cover, and it would not cost more that $500 for parts and labor, and even if you add shop labor to remove the carrier from the car and reinstall it back in the car it would not get any where near $2000-$3500 IMHO!!!!

Thanks for the advice. So how much should that repair cost at a regular shop, parts and labor included?

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
Tell me more info.... what is wrong with your diff now... one wheel peel?? What do you want to do with it... overhaul it or completely rebuild it??? most liekly it will only need an overhaul unless it is trashed.

At a shop it should not be more than $1000 for the total job to over haul it or rebuild.

RJCobra

Established Member
Tell me more info.... what is wrong with your diff now... one wheel peel?? What do you want to do with it... overhaul it or completely rebuild it??? most liekly it will only need an overhaul unless it is trashed.

At a shop it should not be more than $1000 for the total job to over haul it or rebuild.

Just making the noise, otherwise seems ok.
I think it may just need a new pinion bearing or something.

03SVTCOBRA10TH

Established Member
well, if you want to ship it to me I will do a diagnosis for free, regardless if you want me to fix it.

BTW, I take it that you have the stock diff and no work has been done to it?? have you had to re-seal the cover for leaking??? have you changed the geal oil???

I see in your avatar that you are running on a track... these diff get very hot and often cook the gear oil leading to premature wear. A diff cooler and fequently changing gear oil is the only cure for these cars.

RJCobra

Established Member
well, if you want to ship it to me I will do a diagnosis for free, regardless if you want me to fix it.

BTW, I take it that you have the stock diff and no work has been done to it?? have you had to re-seal the cover for leaking??? have you changed the geal oil???

I see in your avatar that you are running on a track... these diff get very hot and often cook the gear oil leading to premature wear. A diff cooler and fequently changing gear oil is the only cure for these cars.

Never did anything to it except change the fluid once(with the FM). Haven't done any open tracking for about 2 years now. I found a guy here locally that builds race cars and supposedly is very familiar with mustang rear ends. Hopefully it's something simple.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Are these assemblies still available? The shop says they can't find one and it's gonna cost $2000-$3500 to rebuild it. Sounds like BS to me.

I have a center chunk that came out of a 1,500 mile '03 Cobra IRS that is not even broken in yet. I'll sell it to you for $500.00 plus shipping.

PM if you're interested.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread