Need a New Floor Jack-Recommendations?

acroholic

Established Member
My 12 year old Craftsman 3 ton floor jack started hemorrhaging oil all over the garage floor yesterday. I need a new one. Can anyone recommend a decent quality one? I can always get another Craftsman, but wondered if there is a particular one favored by fellow GT500 owners?
Dave

Snoopy49

Established Member
My 12 year old Craftsman 3 ton floor jack started hemorrhaging oil all over the garage floor yesterday. I need a new one. Can anyone recommend a decent quality one? I can always get another Craftsman, but wondered if there is a particular one favored by fellow GT500 owners?
Dave

Have you checked Sears Parts Online, chances are they still have parts for your jack. I almost threw out a jack because it leaked around the pump shaft. Sears no longer offered parts for the jack, but I pulled out the plunger and there were 2 o-rings in the cylinder that were worn out. I took them down to the NAPA store and matched them up with their O-rings. I replaced the 2 o-rings at a cost of about $1.50 and it took about 15 minutes from start to finish, most of the time spent retrieving o-ring fragments from the plunger well, to remove and replace the parts.
The jack works like new and no leaks.

Sears Parts Direct

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd also look into the True Forged jack point inserts, I've had good luck with my aluminum Craftsman---but don't have the GT500 yet :(
-J

Kapy

Established Member

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
Stay away from TORIN jacks.. I have had two and they have both been terrible. I have both the long and short low saddle Arcan jacks they sell at northern and both have been good. I recommend the long jack for mustangs.

Check out the jacks at Car Lifts & Garage Shop Automotive Service Equipment ASE Deals, I've never used one of those but they look good.

SDBs13GT500

Established Member
I bought a Craftsman Aluminum Low profile jack a few years back. It is a 4ton version and works great. Unfortunately, after I lowered my GT500 and added Roush Side splitters the jack is not low profile enough. It ends up rubbing quite hard on the splitters. My goal is to have a lift installed in my garage.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a Craftsman Aluminum Low profile jack a few years back. It is a 4ton version and works great. Unfortunately, after I lowered my GT500 and added Roush Side splitters the jack is not low profile enough. It ends up rubbing quite hard on the splitters. My goal is to have a lift installed in my garage.

Drive up on small wood blocks under each tire on the side you're jacking. Had to do that for years with my lowered SVT Contour.
-J

89Saleen215

Established Member
My Sears aluminum broke at the aluminum universal joint. The only way to replace it appears to be to buy the whole hydraulic assembly for about the same price as a new jack. I'd really be interested if someone knows how to replace just the u-joint.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
My Sears aluminum broke at the aluminum universal joint. The only way to replace it appears to be to buy the whole hydraulic assembly for about the same price as a new jack. I'd really be interested if someone knows how to replace just the u-joint.

I would take it back to Sears and see what they will do.

Cam

n/a
Established Member
Aluminum is the way to go, but my Sears aluminum is the only one that refuses to stop leaking, cheap China crap.

Users who are viewing this thread