Need a new alternator

darkside323

Established Member
What up guys so my second alternator just died...... I'm getting more into tracking my car but last night as I researched alternators I keep finding information that whatever I replace it with will die if I keep using my car at high RPM's. My car's motor is stock but I'm about to add Heat exchanger fans and gauges. Would I also need a higher output unit?
Soooooo...... Any suggestions on an alternator that would survive road course abuse???? Thanks in advance and have a good day.

justablur91

Established Member
mine took a crap last month, replaced it with a oem unit going to see how long it last but i hear great thing about 270 amp nations alternators they are pricey but prob worth the peace of mind never having to worry about it again. PA performance is another option

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
What up guys so my second alternator just died...... I'm getting more into tracking my car but last night as I researched alternators I keep finding information that whatever I replace it with will die if I keep using my car at high RPM's. My car's motor is stock but I'm about to add Heat exchanger fans and gauges. Would I also need a higher output unit?
Soooooo...... Any suggestions on an alternator that would survive road course abuse???? Thanks in advance and have a good day.

The fix...........slow the alternator down.............

http://www.billetproshop.com/product/alternator-pulley-underdrive-shelby-gt500/

R

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I went with a nations xp270 after i went through 3 OEM alts. Im happy with it. Very good quality and uses a clutch style pulley that allows you to rev over 7k. At idle i get a nice solid 14.7 volts at the back on the alt and at the battery. So far im very happy. Not cheap but cheaper than buy oem alts over an over.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Anyone I should contact in particular at Nations?

I dont remeber exactly the guys name i talk to maybe mike but not sure. Call them at ask for there ford guy on the mustangs that what i did. Also if you do a google search youll see some other threads of gt500 07-09 threads on nations alts

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
Anyone I should contact in particular at Nations?

It's a fairly small shop. Whoever answers the phone should be able to help you.
Since I live close, I just walked in with my dead PA alternator and they got me fixed up fast.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
http://www.billetproshop.com/product/alternator-pulley-underdrive-shelby-gt500/

RPM is what is killing them. 10% and 25 % underdrive pulleys ensure that you won't overspin yet still keep it in the charging range.

Posted via Topify on Android

Yes, that is why I linked your pulley in post #3.

This is nothing new, the first hi-performance Ford alternator issues that I remember, was wayyyyyy back in 1965, the 289 Hi-Po was trashing alternators with the high RPM's that were achieved with the solid lifter hi-compression 289, Ford's answer, a larger diameter alternator pulley from the factory. This knowledge was later carried over to the BOSS 302 and BOSS 351's, larger diameter pulley's slowed the alternator speed but also kept it at an acceptable speed range for correct charging of the electrical system.

"If" I were to buy one of those expensive replacement alternators................I would still buy a BPS larger diameter alt. pulley to keep that expensive alternator in a safer RPM range, especially if I stretched the RPM's on my engine frequently.

The SPP alt. linked above, I have that on a list for future purchase, I have already purchased a 10% BPS pulley for that Shelby alternator and the pulley will be installed before that $444 alternator ever gets mounted on my engine.

R

Last edited:

darkside323

Established Member
Which size pulley is recommended? 10% or 25%? My car is a daily driver but I do aim at participating in more open track days.

Users who are viewing this thread