Need a little help

fastjuan

SVT
Established Member
I just finished installing my T56 tranny and every thing seemed to be going smoothley. But now for some reason my blinkers are not working. I replaced the number 9 fuse and they were working once again but shortly there after it burned again, does any one have an idea of what i did wrong? :mj: :cuss:

fastjuan

SVT
Established Member
What ground would i have moved to put in the tranny? Everything worked before the install. How many gallons of blinker fluid should i run? I only have 7 right now :bash:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
LaserRedSnake said:
sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere...that might explain the blown fuses

A bad ground won't blow any fuse! It will just render the device inoperative as if power were removed by a blown fuse, except the fuse isn't blown, the ground is just open like a switch turned off.

While I have never removed a T45, I have removed other trannys and have an appreciation for the work, and everything that can get in your way during the process, some of it unseen. What did you do with the backup light switch that was mounted on the side of the T45? The flasher unit and the backup lights are on fuse #1, and the flasher unit and brake lights are on fuse #9 (your brake lights are not working either, by the way, so watch your butt if you are driving around in this condition!). If you somehow messed up (pinched or skinned) the purple/orange wire to the backup light switch and shorted it to ground it could be related to your problem.
Beyond that I can't see anything in the wiring diagrams related to a tranny exchange that could be causing your problem. Of course, there is always Murphy's Law!

fastjuan

SVT
Established Member
Thanks for the help snakeye. :beer: I think it has something to do with the brake lights because the blinkers work fine when i replace the fuse, but push on the breaks and pop goes the fuse :mj: but like you said there is no wire for the tail lights on that harness correct?

Last edited:

SNAKEYE

Established Member
fastjuan said:
Thanks for the help snakeye. :beer: I think it has something to do with the brake lights because the blinkers work fine when i replace the fuse, but push on the breaks and pop goes the fuse :mj: but like you said there is no wire for the tail lights on that harness correct?

The blinkers and the brakes use the same circuits and bulbs. The difference may be that the blinkers only use one side or the other at a time (and for a short duration) whereas the brakes use both sides simultaneously, and for longer durations.
I'd say this is probably all unrelated to your tranny changeout. Looks to me like you are going to have to trace the wiring down stream from the fuse to find the problem. If, as you say, the fuse only pops WHEN THE BRAKES are applied that could narrow the search. If I recall correctly the circuitry splits after the fuse and goes to the multi-function switch (which contains the turnsignal selector switch) and to the brake on/off (BOO) switch that is used to turn off cruise control. I'll have to revisit the wiring diagrams to see what goes where.
Question: Did you have to remove the console to do the changeout. I would imagine not, but if you did there are wires within that might be involved. I'll check to see if any of those are related to fuse #9.
Stay tuned.

MyLEEN00

Established Member
yea, just look for any and all pinched or skinned wires. Your hot is hitting ground somewhere. I did the same when i changed out my tail lights about 3 yrs ago in my first mustang. When i put the new tail light in, i pinched the hot wire of the break light between the bolt and the hole it was going into. I eventually found it (after countless new fuses) when i saw smoke coming out from benhind the tail light. So just moving the wire and some simple heat shrink or electrical tape fixed it right up!!

LaserRedSnake

LTHLBITE
Established Member
Thats what I meant about the ground was possibly a wire hitting it and causing it sorry to look like a idiot I was just in a hurry when I posted before

Users who are viewing this thread