Need a little help with Intercooler...

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
I just got the car from a member on the board here, and anytime i get into boost alot, the intercooler resivour, I cant spell that, shoots coolant all over my engine and comes out of the hood onto the hood and/or windshield. :cuss:

Now, From what I can tell, the cap isnt any good because I've checked it everytime I drive and the fluid gets higher and higher in the resivour and the cap doesnt seem to be holding pressure what so ever. I open it and no hissing from the cap, even when hot! :dw:

If I look at the bottom of the cap, allll the threads are wet, and I really dont think they should be. The radiator cap is dry on the threads.

Either way, I ordered a new cap for the Intercooler, and was just wondering what you guys thought of this. :shrug:

Thanks!

03yellow

Established Member
To start:

1. Jump your intercooler to see if the pump is running
2. check your lower intercooler lines(metal) under the car and make sure they are not crimped from running up on a curb or hittind somthing on the freeway.

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
Okay... so, how do I jump the intercooler pump? Im totally new to all this.

EDIT:
Posting at the same time sucks haha

Last edited:

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
Smart ass! haha Just kidding.

Alright, ill go try that, Ill check the intercooler lines underneath first. However, if it turns out to be that the pump isnt running, that means the relay is bad, am I correct?

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
Well.... Lines are okay, and i jumped relay, only to find NOTHING RUNNING. So... Something is bad.

I jumped the relay, just as the picture demonstrated.
8c117999.jpg

And, I cant hear anything running, or pumping, and the fluid in the resivour doesnt cycle or even move.

What else can i do here?

weareweird69

SVT Addict.
Established Member
Well, UPDATE!

Traced the intercooler lines to the intercooler pump. Unplugged it. Got power there, so im thinking, oh this isnt good...

So, I make sure theres power going, while the pump is jumped, i grab a small hammer, and LIGHTLY tap on it. first tap, wurrrrr around she gos!

So, I dont know if it got itself vapor locked and stopped working, and just needed freed up? i dont know, but I really am curious as to how much one of those is? I dont want to buy a new one haha.

Thanks For the insight guys, I gotta go add some fluid to my resivour now.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
thats how mine works. it needs a good beating periodically. it will only get worse over time, and crap out at the worst time (eg., when you're paying to be on the racetrack - see quicktime above)

the lightning and cobra share the same pump, and its probably cheaper to get it through ford racing parts than over the dealership parts counter.

speedster901

Banned
Lightning Force Performance has a Bosch replacement for about 150, I think. I had the same problem, but it was just the fuse. I called the dealer and they quoted me 450 for just the pump?, I was glad it was just the fuse.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread