Need a little help with a 4.0 EFI Explorer

13 Z

Spandex is a right
Established Member
Guys,

I need a little help fixing my buddies Explorer. It has a 4.0L EFI in it.

It’s running really rough, to say the least. The moment I heard it run I could tell that is was missing.
When I hooked my scanner up to it I got 3 codes: P0304 (Cylinder 4 misfire) and two more indicating that banks 1 and 2 were both lean. I pulled the plug on #4 just to see what it looked like, and it was in great shape. All the vacuum lines are fine, and the MAF is clean as a whistle.

I’ve heard that the lower intake gasket is problematic in these engines, and that it might be allowing coolant into the engine. Other than that, I’m kinda stuck. I initially thought it was just the plug/wire, but that appears to be in great shape. Any ideas?

blecoupe89

Sprayin for 10's
Established Member
Definately sounds like an intake/vaccum leak.

If this is a coil pack motor I would also change a couple around and see if the cylinder number changes.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Usually when there's a code that reads both banks are lean, it's a vacuum leak somewhere. I'd look for this leak first before trying to track down the misfire, because it could be related.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
not sure but is there any possibility it could be fuel related? Bad fuel pump, bad fuel filter, fuel injectors, etc... Just an idea.

Users who are viewing this thread