Need a little help please

ShiftinGT

Established Member
Alright guys so a few days ago I decided I would change my spark plugs and coil packs because when I bought the car the guy had brand new spark plugs in the box sitting in the car and I had new coil packs I had never used before. Anyways I changed both the plugs and coils and drove it for around 10 minutes that night, a CEL light came on and it said misfire on cylinder 2. So i went back home and parked it and the next day looked at cylinder two coil and plug, when I went to pull the Coil pack off the plug it was stuck and the spring ripped off so I figured it was the problem, reinstalled one of the old coil packs, cleared the code and drove it for around 30 minutes with no problems whatsoever. So today I went to get in it and it cranks right up like normal but it doesn't even sound like a v8. I think my v6 Pontiac G6 GT has more power than this. IDK what the problem is but no light is on, the car just doesn't feel like it did before and it is no where near as loud as it was previously. When I changed the plugs and coils I used Dielectric grease and Anti Seize lube. The coils I changed it too were GMS streetfighters, and the plugs were Motorcraft platinums.
Any help is appreciated.

Cliffs: Changed coils and plugs
- Car had misfire in Cylinder 2
- Changed Coil pack on Cylinder 2, ran fine
- Start it today and its running like a honda or something haha
2000 Mustang GT 5 Speed

ShiftinGT

Established Member
Yeah I definitely think the coils are the problem. There being a bitch to get off, and the motorcrafts just seem to fit so much better. It's like the coil boot is like melted or I'm just weak. Can't pull it off to save my life. Also the coils smelt like gas, well the ones I got off. Still working on it

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I've never ever heard of anyone ever having good luck with any coil packs other than the factory motorcraft coil packs.

ShiftinGT

Established Member
One more question, I decided to check the tightness of the spark plugs and all seem to be loose, I tightened them with an extension by hand last time. Should I go a little tighter? I think that's why it ran like crap because they all worked there way loose. There not stripped though

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
One more question, I decided to check the tightness of the spark plugs and all seem to be loose, I tightened them with an extension by hand last time. Should I go a little tighter? I think that's why it ran like crap because they all worked there way loose. There not stripped though

Look up the specefic torque spec on these, since these cars have the terrible tendency to blow out plugs proper torque on them is a must. Not to loose and definitely not to tight. Some people say 10, 11 or 12 ft lbs. Personally I did 12. I believe the book calls for 7-14.

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
They should just be hand tight and I'd put anti sieze on the threads of those too.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I've owned quite a few 2 valvers. I've been pretty lucky on plugs, first I change them around 30k miles so they don't get too munged up (they'll easily go 100k in real life) To remove them I carefully start to unscrew them, if they even think about feeling "crunchy" I stop and hose them down with penetrating oil and go to the next one, I never force them out. Sometimes I run them in and out a few times to allow the oil to get into the threads. I continue to go around and repeat the process until they all come out fairly easily. That being said I've never "torqued" them either, I've always just used a 3/8 ratchet and snugged them hand tight. But torquing is definitely not a bad idea. It's not the threads that screws up, it's the fact that the plug's threads extend into the combustion chamber and they get carboned up, then you try and drag the carbon through the threaded plug hole when you unscrew them.

Users who are viewing this thread