Need a little help at work.

Ditty

Established Member
Ok, so this is my last-ditch effort. I'm having some work troubles and I thought MAYBE you guys might be able to assist.

I am a recruiter for a Sales Outsourcing Company. We have hit a "wall" with recruiting and we are just not getting the qualified applicants that we need in some territories. We currently post numberous different ads in places like Craigslist, ZipRecruiter, LinkedIn, SalesJobs.Com etc. We also have our territory Managers hitting local job fairs, empolyment offices etc.

My CEO has posed a 'challenge' to each of us in the Recruiting Department. To come up with a new and different idea to increase the number of quality applicants and keep them.

We currently only hire Business to Business Outside Sales Reps, in various areas across the nation. We have a minimal requirement of 2 years of outside b2b experience.

What I have noticed, especially lately is that a LOT of candidates that I have called and scheduled interviews with are FANTASTIC! They understand our business model and go to the interview with my territory manager and do wonderful. This issue is that once we send out the offer letter, they disappear off the face of the earth. They don't return phone calls or emails and it is killing us.

Those of you who have worked in an industry like outside sales know that the turnover rate is pretty high as sales reps get burned out going door-to-door all of the time. Our turnover rate is almost 50% higher than the normal range. It's quite frustrating. Seems like as soon as I get 2 candidates in, and sign the offer letter, 3 leave from that territory.

Does ANYONE have any (serious) suggestions that we might be able to implement here in Recruiting that might improve our retention and candidate interest?

We run all sorts of different ads for all territories: Serious/fun and catchy/middle of the road.
We all follow up with candidates before and after the interview and maintain constant contact with our territory managers.
We are constantly updating our ads so that they are current.
We offer a sign-on bonus for new hires in our 'hot' territories.

Thanks for your help!

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
x2

Sounds like the pay simply isn't there. You aren't going to lure high quality applicants from existing jobs for a lateral move unless the benefits/pay are top notch. And with that kind of turnover, it tells me even more the pay isn't there. What kind of sales pressure are you putting on them? Is there residual commission or is commission on only new sales/customers?

If the interviews are unemployed, and you aren't getting them, then they have better jobs from elsewhere, or simply think the job isn't worth the money.

We need lots more info to determine what the problem may or may not be.

Coiled03

Established Member

People have no motivation to move laterally right now unless there's a significant bump in pay and/or benefits. Stability in your job is more valuable than ever.

In fact, as someone who was recently considering switching companies, I told myself I wouldn't move unless the raise was at LEAST 10 - 15% over what I'm making now. I'd have no motivation to move, otherwise, becasuse I can get a 10% raise on an internal promotion.

Ditty

Established Member
It's salary plus commission, and the combination is on par with everyone else in the industry. We work with numerous different companies and each project has a different comp plan. I've suggested revamping the comp plans but my CEO wants something that we can change in recruiting. We've already brought up adding another compensation contest or something similar.

Truthfully, the benefits could be a little better, but they are also on par with what other companies our size pay. We have about 200 employees total including our corporate staff and all of our territory offices. One Sales Team ranges from 8-12 reps including the manager. We also have an inside sales floor with about 20-25 people here at our corporate office.

Like I said in the original post, we did institute a Sign-On bonus program for anyone that makes quota in the first 90 days. (No one has made it, and the quota isn't all that tough. 3 deals a week or 6 in a two-week period.)

Last edited:

Ditty

Established Member
One of the territories that has been particularly difficult to even get candidates to apply is in Columbus, OH. Also, the entire state of Massachusetts outside of Boston has been tough. In Columbus it's almost like there just isn't anyone who is looking for a job that has the experience. Mass has been mostly that people apply but don't live in the territories that we are hiring in and don't want to travel more than 10 mins unless it's to cover a larger territory, like the entire state.

ff500

Established Member
What is it you have to sell? I'm in Ma right now,Cape Cod. We also have a home in Northern Va. I have no experience.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
advertise for much higher positions, such as managers, supervisors....that way you get better qualified people apply.

if you advertise for a garbage collector position, thats what youll get.

Ditty

Established Member
advertise for much higher positions, such as managers, supervisors....that way you get better qualified people apply.

if you advertise for a garbage collector position, thats what youll get.

We already do that as well. We are contantly recruiting for ALL positions, even recruiters. My Boss, the Recruiting Director, is continually posting for Manager positions for all of our territories. We've gotten a few Sales Reps from those postings, but the majority of those applying want to manage, even if they have zero management experience.

focussvtracer

auto x
Established Member
"This issue is that once we send out the offer letter, they disappear off the face of the earth. They don't return phone calls or emails and it is killing us."

gee i wonder. You get what you pay for.

Coiled03

Established Member
"This issue is that once we send out the offer letter, they disappear off the face of the earth. They don't return phone calls or emails and it is killing us."

Exactly. Once they realize the pay at this place is "on par" with everybody else in the field, they don't bother calling back. What's their motivation to switch companies for the same pay?

Like I said, there's has to be a significant bump in pay or benefits to get people to move laterally right now.

Ditty

Established Member
The Managers go over the comp. plan with them in the interview. They know exactly what the base salary is, and what the commission structure is. The managers also talk to the applicant BEFORE the offer is sent to make sure we aren't wasting our time. Then we send the offer and probably half of 'em disappear.

Then we have those that send the offer back and then never show up on their first day of work.

Other 'retention' issues are: 3 times since Jan 1st we've had people show up DRUNK w/in the first week; people who do not have a drivers license or car insurance (this is an outside sales position where you are expected to travel to businesses); after the offer is done and before starting they fail the drug test (about half of signed offers); etc.

Ditty

Established Member
Also, and I understand where you guys are coming from, but Recruiting does not set the compensation. We've already talked about that and it's unlikely to change any time soon. The CEO wants to know what RECRUITING can do. Comp Plans are between him and the client-companies to hash out. Recruiting has nothing to do with compensation.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
The Managers go over the comp. plan with them in the interview. They know exactly what the base salary is, and what the commission structure is. The managers also talk to the applicant BEFORE the offer is sent to make sure we aren't wasting our time. Then we send the offer and probably half of 'em disappear.

Then we have those that send the offer back and then never show up on their first day of work.

Other 'retention' issues are: 3 times since Jan 1st we've had people show up DRUNK w/in the first week; people who do not have a drivers license or car insurance (this is an outside sales position where you are expected to travel to businesses); after the offer is done and before starting they fail the drug test (about half of signed offers); etc.

Honestly, after hearing these stats - you aren't offering the job to the right people. A quality applicant wouldn't show that type of interest and then not show up after getting the letter. A quality applicant certainly wouldn't show up drunk. Was the question asked "do you have a driver's license and insurance" during the interview? Were they aware of an impending drug test? If so, and they failed it, then they certainly aren't the kinds of people you need.

It truly sounds like you need to re-evaluate your entire advertising strategy. Whether it is the wording in the ads, or where the ads are appearing, I can't say. But the items mentioned above are troubling, as I'm thinking the people that are getting the offers aren't being weeded out during the interview process.

Ditty

Established Member
Here is an example of one of the more professional postings that I am personally using for our Deregulated Energy Client:

Experienced and Professional O/S B2B Rep (LOCATION)
The Outside Sales Representative is responsible for the acquisition of new commercial customers for deregulated energy. This will be achieved through daily prospecting (cold calling), scheduled appointments and referrals. The sales representative will conduct consultative sales appointments and present our clients value proposition, positioned against their current supplier. The Sales Representative will be tasked with achieving a bi-weekly minimum quota, reporting of all sales activities and accompanying sales to be submitted each evening.

Job Responsibilities:

Outside field sales
Conduct a minimum of 40 cold call knocks per day
Present a minimum of 3 effective sales presentations
Close a minimum of 6 new accounts bi-weekly
Produce and submit daily reports detailing sales and sales activities
Other duties as required for business productivity

Requirements:

High School Diploma (or equivalent)
Previous outside sales experience in a business to business and door-to-door environment
Ability to present clients value proposition and sell consultatively
High proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point)
Must have reliable transportation
Must live in the GENERAL area.

Preferred Qualifications:

College Degree (BA/BS)
Experience with Google Docs
Two (2) years outside sales experience in a B2B environment
INDUSTRY sales experience

Compensation:
Salary and Commissions
Vacation/Holiday/Sick Pays (after 90 days)
401K (after 1 year)
Health Plan Available.

(COMPANY is a drug-free workplace.)

Then I put a little about our company and some awards we've received in the last 12 months or so, etc.

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
For starters, I would add

"Must have reliable transportation and insurance"
"Must pass a drug screening"

Is there a training period? If not, 6 sales in first two weeks is killer, especially if you are new to the game. Are the cold calls residential or commercial?

After how long they are with company do they have to start meet the quota?

Or how about starting out on commission only and bonus for meeting certain goals?

Or perhaps starting out salary/quota for month then 100% commission?

Just throwing stuff out there.

SpectorV

Established Member
Offer the job that day instead of down the road when they have changed their mind or found another job? If its that fast paced you need to offer them the job that DAY not later on.

Never_Enough

Established Member
It's salary plus commission, and the combination is on par with everyone else in the industry. We work with numerous different companies and each project has a different comp plan. I've suggested revamping the comp plans but my CEO wants something that we can change in recruiting. We've already brought up adding another compensation contest or something similar.

Truthfully, the benefits could be a little better, but they are also on par with what other companies our size pay. We have about 200 employees total including our corporate staff and all of our territory offices. One Sales Team ranges from 8-12 reps including the manager. We also have an inside sales floor with about 20-25 people here at our corporate office.

Like I said in the original post, we did institute a Sign-On bonus program for anyone that makes quota in the first 90 days. (No one has made it, and the quota isn't all that tough. 3 deals a week or 6 in a two-week period.)
What is the base? What is the total comp @ 100% of plan year one?

I am willing to bet it is too low.

I have been in sales for a lot of years & talk to a lot of companies. Most companies out there today offer peanuts & want 10 degrees, 78 years of experience, existing book of business, work you 6-7 days a week, etc type bs. GFY is what anyone that has half a brain says to them.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Offer the job that day instead of down the road when they have changed their mind or found another job? If its that fast paced you need to offer them the job that DAY not later on.

+1

Another problem with companies today. They take forever to pick someone they wanna hire & do 100 steps that could be done in 1 or 2 steps. Morons.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member

+1

it's the overall compensation. Garbage pay, garbage candidates.

Users who are viewing this thread