Need a good recipe..

Panic661

Established Member
Dad got himself another deer, last year was a bit experimental for us cooking it, and sometimes it turned out great, other times it didn't.

I was wondering if any of you knew a decent recipe for deer roast..and the deer backstrap. Any tips or recipes would be appreciate, thanks. :)

usmcrebel

Established Member
Dad got himself another deer, last year was a bit experimental for us cooking it, and sometimes it turned out great, other times it didn't.

I was wondering if any of you knew a decent recipe for deer roast..and the deer backstrap. Any tips or recipes would be appreciate, thanks. :)

Awesome here is what i do.

Soak the back straps in coke and dales sauce (3-4 tablespoons) for about 6-8 hours after it has been tenderized

Pull it from the bag and place it a pan with a homemade sauce
*sauce i make
Use a whiskey (i use scotch usually glenfiddich; 3-4 tablespoons no more than 6)
add brown sugar 2 tbl spoons
place onions (cut one into 1/4's), garlic clove (cut 1 in half) place them in the pan cut side down
add low sodium dale sauce (a little bit)
I let all that simmer to cook the alcohol out and bring the flavors together, after it has done that i pour it in the pan the back strap is in pour it over it let it set overnight...the i grill it= perfection

ssssnake

Established Member
I don't know what cut he uses, but a friend of mine creates a little dish I look forward to every year. He calls it "Deer Diablo."

He cuts the venison into little chunks, takes a slice of onion and a slice of jalapeno and wraps them around the chunk with bacon and secures with a toothpick.

He then marinates the chunks in barbecue sauce for about 30 minutes or so, then barbecues until the bacon is crispy. Excellent! Deer ribs are good too. :)

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
for backstrap i recommend this:

Deer wraps:
however much backstrap you want to use, cut it into bite size pieces, smaller you go the more wraps you can make. Marinate in favorite seasoning (i usually use local stuff to marinate with then in italian dressing sometimes)

fresh jalapeño peppers (again get as many as you need to the pieces of backstrap) cut them into 4 pieces each, de-seeding them and such

cream cheese (usually 2 blocks are good for about 50 wraps or so, depending on how much cream cheese you use)

2 packs of thick cut bacon or more again depending on how many you are making (i usually cut the packs in 1/2 to make them go farther)

take a piece of jalapeño and put cream cheese on it, then put the backstrap on top of the cream cheese and wrap in a piece of bacon. Then when your done doing that (which is time consuming but worth it in the end) put some aluminum foil on the bbq pit and let them cook on medium heat till bacon is crisp then enjoy. They are really good if you havent tried them yet and the backstrap always stays super tender that way

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
I don't know what cut he uses, but a friend of mine creates a little dish I look forward to every year. He calls it "Deer Diablo."

He cuts the venison into little chunks, takes a slice of onion and a slice of jalapeno and wraps them around the chunk with bacon and secures with a toothpick.

He then marinates the chunks in barbecue sauce for about 30 minutes or so, then barbecues until the bacon is crispy. Excellent! Deer ribs are good too. :)

lol almost the same thing i just posted. I bet that is good though, ill have to try that next time

Users who are viewing this thread