need a clutch, spec stage 3 advice?

coupe5.0

Established Member
wondering what everyone is running in the clutch dept. my car is making a little over 400hp at the wheels, and the king cobra bit off more than it could chew with my new MT drag radials. i was kinda leaning toward the spec stage 3 + . any advice on the pedal effort/driveability?

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
that clutch chatters and has an engaged or disengaged mode, there is no in between. As far as grip goes, it's the cats meow. That is just my opinion though. I have a stage 2 and have been very happy with it. It has withstood MANY 6K rpm clutch drops on the bottle. Car made 325 at the wheels all motor then I added a 175 shot on top of it with full slicks. On paper, my car should have had 450 at the wheels but I never got to dyno it on the bottle.

scootro

Established Member
got hp said:
that clutch chatters and has an engaged or disengaged mode, there is no in between. As far as grip goes, it's the cats meow. That is just my opinion though. I have a stage 2 and have been very happy with it. It has withstood MANY 6K rpm clutch drops on the bottle. Car made 325 at the wheels all motor then I added a 175 shot on top of it with full slicks. On paper, my car should have had 450 at the wheels but I never got to dyno it on the bottle.
with that stage 2... how does the clutch pedal feel... is it smooth and easy on the leg.......

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
slightly harder than the king cobra but you will get used to it quickly. Softer than a centerforce clutch if you have ever felt one.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
got hp said:
that clutch chatters and has an engaged or disengaged mode, there is no in between. As far as grip goes, it's the cats meow.
Mine does not chatter at all really, especially after you get used to it. Otherwise, like he said, its has an on/off feel (meaning very little slip) and HOOKS hard. You can get used to it and drive it daily in my opinion. The question is do you have enough car to need it?
Good luck, J

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
got hp said:
slightly harder than the king cobra but you will get used to it quickly. Softer than a centerforce clutch if you have ever felt one.

my centerforce is the softest pedal I have ever had. (but its a dual friction)

I have a Spec stage II in my 88 GT. So far its a good clutch but its either on or off, no in between.

Stage 2 should be plenty for your application. I have a member on my forums who works for SPEC. He claims that in most street car applications the stage 1 and 2 do just fine

coupe5.0

Established Member
bimini lx-

dont know, seems like in the description the stage 3 is recommended for supercharged/ nitrous combos. like i said it makes 400 at the wheels? The king cobra was ok on the street too until i the MTs and a big burnout did it in at the track the other night. I just dont want to put another clutch in it and be in the same boat.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
coupe5.0 said:
bimini lx-

dont know, seems like in the description the stage 3 is recommended for supercharged/ nitrous combos. like i said it makes 400 at the wheels? The king cobra was ok on the street too until i the MTs and a big burnout did it in at the track the other night. I just dont want to put another clutch in it and be in the same boat.
Yeah, the King Cobra is living on borrowed time at that level with racing abuse. I'd recommend calling SPEC. They were very helpful with me and can give you the best advice on which of their clutches is best for your application.
BTW, there was some internet rumor that the early SPEC supplied TO bearings were not great, so I used a Ford part just in case. Not sure if that has changed now or if it was a real problem, but just a heads up.
Like I said, I like my Stage 3 and feel you could daily drive it if you really wanted to.
Good luck, J

buddha93

Established Member
I have a Spec III in my car know and it does chatter, but doesn't slip a bit. I've heard that they have a newer version that has not chatter. Give them a call and see what they have to say.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
I would want to know what trans you are running. If it is a stock trans then I would not suggest a spec stage 3. A clutch can essentially be the fuse in your drivetrain. If you have a lot of power then the clutch may slip. If you take away the slippage and still have a large power transfer then something else will give ... most likely the stock trans. I blew my stock trans up with a dual friction. If you have a Tremec then go with an organic clutch material. I run a TKO and McLeod and it is the best setup I have ever had.

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
I have the Spec III and love it. My CF DF had an awesome stock pedal feel but slipped immediatly after the blower install. The Spec doesn't have the stock feel but I got use to it very quickly. It chattered a bit when I first installed it a couple months ago and now its going away since I have about 100 miles on it. Its on/off as mentioned and I run a TKOII FYI.

coupe5.0

Established Member
well the tranny issue has crossed my mind, but if i break it i guess i'll have an excuse to put a tremec in it. after a string of 12.0something runs at the track im really wanting an 11 second pass. thanks for all the input, i think the stage 3 is the way to go.

Last edited:

alotahp92gt

Established Member
I have the stage 3 as well. It was hard to use untill I got about 100 miles on it"it even says that in the instructions" It grabs like no other, I also have mine backed by a tremec. I also got rid of the stock plastic clutch quadrant and got the steeda tripple pickup and adjustable cable. Night and day diffference.
I say go for it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread