Need a car for my daughter

wheelhopper

Established Member
I am looking for a cheap driver for my daughter. It has to be an automatic, safe, and reliable. Brand does not matter. I would also prefer something fairly good on gas. Let me know if any of you know of something. Thanks.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Maybe. Define cheap? A friend of mine is looking at getting a new car and will be selling her 06 ish Accord. I also frequently pass stuff on the side of the road. There is a miata sitting right off Marshall corner road near the intersection of 229 with a hardtop on it that I saw yesterday. Dale's Dad is also selling his truck, but that would violate the good on gas part.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I'd like to stay below $4K.

I looked at a Miata for her a few months ago. It was a good deal at $2200 and just over 100K miles. It had a 5sp though and I could not convince her to go for it. After riding with her I don't think I want her to have a manual either. She is a terrible driver. I had to grab the wheel several times. That is why I want a cheap car. I have a feeling she is going to bang it up.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I'd like to stay below $4K.

I looked at a Miata for her a few months ago. It was a good deal at $2200 and just over 100K miles. It had a 5sp though and I could not convince her to go for it. After riding with her I don't think I want her to have a manual either. She is a terrible driver. I had to grab the wheel several times. That is why I want a cheap car. I have a feeling she is going to bang it up.

LOL, oh good. Glad you live over in Calvert. My sister used to be a horrendous driver, until we forced her to learn how to drive a stick and pay attention to WTF she was doing. She didn't drive the stick vehicle long (it was a 300zx that turned out to be rusted beyond repair so she couldn't take it to Chicago) but it still helped.

I passed an older 5 or 7 series for 1300 yesterday near my folks place. For that price, I'm guessing it needs something major. Body appeared to be in good shape though, and if it's anything like my E46 was, they are pleasant to work on.

pbeechner

Established Member
LOL, oh good. Glad you live over in Calvert. My sister used to be a horrendous driver, until we forced her to learn how to drive a stick and pay attention to WTF she was doing. She didn't drive the stick vehicle long (it was a 300zx that turned out to be rusted beyond repair so she couldn't take it to Chicago) but it still helped.

I passed an older 5 or 7 series for 1300 yesterday near my folks place. For that price, I'm guessing it needs something major. Body appeared to be in good shape though, and if it's anything like my E46 was, they are pleasant to work on.

I have a bit of experience with the older BMWs and it really depends on what is wrong with it.... I had an '86 535 that went to 289,000 miles before it met a guardrail. The engines and transmissions are for the most part bulletproof and when I had my accident, it was into a guardrail at 65 and I walked away with only a bump on the head. They're fine to work on and relatively simple unless you've got wiring issues.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
PM sent. I know im not part of the MACA crowd but can give references if need be.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I like Bimmers. An E30 would be great. Then when my daughter is done with it I can put a 5 speed in it and go race in the Spec E30 class. I'd of done the same thing with the Miata. My daughter is just totally against the manual trans. Otherwise I would have kept my sons Ranger that ran fine and I sold for him for $1K.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Picked up an Accord yesterday for $3500. Got it from a guy I have known for 30 years. Low miles and kept all the maintenance records. The next one is on her.

TGS2

Dr.Gonzo
Established Member
I'm letting go of my wife's Cabriolet. 1989, solid little car. Reliable, and fun. Total girl car. It is a five speed though. image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread