Need a 4-door for 6k max, preferably wagon!

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
I'm in Oregon! The max I can go is 6k and I would prefer closer to 5k. Want to keep it as low mileage as possible. Really prefer wagons. Looking at the Focus, a couple Volvos, some Passats, and a couple Accord wagons. Seems like the best deal is the Focus so far.

I want it to be reliable, cheap to maintain, possibly some fun factor but safety also for my daughter... And fuel efficiency has me focused on manual trannies, but the right automatic would be okay...

Any thoughts on anything I might be missing or on the above cars listed? Really leaning towards all the great Focus wagons I see, though the Passats look REALLY nice. Just heard crummy things about their reliability. Love Volvos, but have never worked on them or even driven one... Just like the safety factor. I do really want a wagon, but the right sedan or even little SUV I could be sold on...

Thanks guys!

LOLasaurus

Established Member
Does your daughter have money?

One thing you could do is say, im willing to cover 6k of a car for you, if you want something over 6k you have to cover the rest.

Then you could look at newer things like a mazda3 5 door, Impreza wagon (which up north would be safer in the snow), or Golf GTI, plus by getting a newer car you'd save on maintenance.

Some some cars you could add to the list if she's willing to cover some of the costs
Mazda3
Impreza Wagon
Golf GTI
Caliber SXT (on ebay they have a couple 2007s going for 8k)

Eds01Lightning

Established Member
You can get a good used Ford Taurus for that kind of money pretty easily. Good reliable transportation that are easy to repair/service. Great cars for the money!!

LOLasaurus

Established Member
Also is this her first car, statistics show that roughly 127% of first time drivers will get into a wreck.

That said get her a '93 Ford F250 diesel, Ive seen on of those get into a head on collision with a bulldozer.....the bulldozer was totaled. Also considering it gets about 4 miles to the gallon you know that shes not gonna be joy riding anywhere

JasonSnake

Established Member
1995 - 96 Chevy Caprice wagon or Buick Roadmaster wagon. Both come with LT1's from 94+ but the 94's have problems with their Optispark distributors

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
Also is this her first car, statistics show that roughly 127% of first time drivers will get into a wreck.

That said get her a '93 Ford F250 diesel, Ive seen on of those get into a head on collision with a bulldozer.....the bulldozer was totaled. Also considering it gets about 4 miles to the gallon you know that shes not gonna be joy riding anywhere

LMAO, 127%? I would try for a mustang GT or Mach to prepare her for a KB Cobra... WRXs are expensive. I would buy a older car for $1 to 2kish. let her drive that for 6 months or or little longer. then she can make mistakes and learn from them. then get a newer nicer car($6k etc.) like you said 127% chance. seen too many people give thier kids newer cars who have no expierence and end up in the body shop for repairs. it also make them appreciate the newer nicer car...

Bad Fish

Established Member
What about a 2000-ish Legacy, Outback or Forester? Good mileage, all wheel drive, safe, plenty of room. Just make sure the head gaskets are okay or have been replaced from 98-03.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Jeep Cherokee. Mine has been dead reliable since I bought it. It'll carry 4 people and stuff in the back, do great in any type of weather and terrain, and take a hit if she gets in an accident. You can find them in great condition with less than 100k miles for 4-5k. The engines are good up to about 300k if you just keep up with them.

Evan5469

Established Member
Jeep Cherokee. Mine has been dead reliable since I bought it. It'll carry 4 people and stuff in the back, do great in any type of weather and terrain, and take a hit if she gets in an accident. You can find them in great condition with less than 100k miles for 4-5k. The engines are good up to about 300k if you just keep up with them.

+1. Got a '95 with 175k on it right now. The only thing that has been replaced, besides regular maintenance, is the water pump and it still runs very well.

Midnight Venom

Reloaded's Girl
Established Member
I dont really know where you heard VW are unreliable because I've never heard that before but I will say my mom has the sedan Passat and I like it a lot! Shes bought it brand new in 2002 and never had a problem with it other then the motor mounts going bad at about 90,000 miles. The service for vw is a little more expensive then an american car though. That or the volvo would be my choice. Good luck.

LOLasaurus

Established Member
I dont really know where you heard VW are unreliable because I've never heard that before but I will say my mom has the sedan Passat and I like it a lot! Shes bought it brand new in 2002 and never had a problem with it other then the motor mounts going bad at about 90,000 miles. The service for vw is a little more expensive then an american car though. That or the volvo would be my choice. Good luck.

To be honest some of the older VWs had some pretty bad electrical problems. Most of the time things would just working, but every so often you'd get a bad case of catching on fire

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Yeah, that was bad grammar on my part. The car is for me, I just want a safer vehicle since I'm a single Dad of a 2yo - you were close, fordracer, I'm flattered you remembered!

Users who are viewing this thread