Necessary to drop exhaust for driveshaft install?

imeyers302

Established Member
Going to install my MGW Race Spec and DSS carbon driveshaft this weekend and was just wondering if it is necessary to remove exhaust for installation of the driveshaft.

Vert

Established Member
It will make the job a lot easier but it can be done with it left on. Just depends how high you get the car, but you'll waste more time by fighting with it then it would be to drop the pipes.

kdaly

Established Member
Did not touch my exhaust and did it on jack stands in the garage.

I've replaced my DSS DS three times on jack stands and my shifter barton to mgw with the exhaust on. Would it make it much easier, hell yeah, but its possible...

imeyers302

Established Member
I've replaced my DSS DS three times on jack stands and my shifter barton to mgw with the exhaust on. Would it make it much easier, hell yeah, but its possible...

Great. Will have second set of hands so that should make it a drop easier. Not a big deal but would rather not remove it if it's not necessary. Just out of curiosity why did you have to replace the driveshaft 3 times?

kdaly

Established Member
Great. Will have second set of hands so that should make it a drop easier. Not a big deal but would rather not remove it if it's not necessary. Just out of curiosity why did you have to replace the driveshaft 3 times?

Its great to have a second set of hands on this one for removal of the DS. Not sure if I could have done it by myself. Now that I think about it I had to pull down on the exhaust to get enough clearance to slip it out. But mine car is lowered a lot. Your gonna wanna support it by the axle tubes. The second set of hands is also huge when you have to keep rotation the DS to get at all the bolts. Had a buddy in the drivers seat to engage and release the ebrake to hold the ds in place while turning the wrench with force.

Had to do it three times because DSS drive shafts are not that great. On my third. First two failed at the rear U Joint. My pinion angle is dead on too. I have had the aluminum version all three times

imeyers302

Established Member
Its great to have a second set of hands on this one for removal of the DS. Not sure if I could have done it by myself. Now that I think about it I had to pull down on the exhaust to get enough clearance to slip it out. But mine car is lowered a lot. Your gonna wanna support it by the axle tubes. The second set of hands is also huge when you have to keep rotation the DS to get at all the bolts. Had a buddy in the drivers seat to engage and release the ebrake to hold the ds in place while turning the wrench with force.

Had to do it three times because DSS drive shafts are not that great. On my third. First two failed at the rear U Joint. My pinion angle is dead on too. I have had the aluminum version all three times

So what you are saying is I should hold onto the factory driveshaft should I need to reinstall it due to failure of the DSS shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread