NCD! Dodge Charger R/T detail content. Picture heavy

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Picked up a cool little RT at an auction recently at a ridiculous price. 60k miles on an 2008 model. Other than the paint being marred to shit, not a bad little car. Nothing a paint correction detail action couldn't fix.

Even scored a free TruFiber fiberglass hood from a friend of mine so I painted that and slapped it on there the other day.

Basic processes and products used are as follows:

Started out by using CarPro Xsoap gel and CarPro Iron X spray on the wheels (they were horrid) to get it clean. Followed with a Pinnacle Clay bar. Removed the spoiler and all emblems and taped off edges/rubbers as well.

Washed the car after the claybar and blew the water off the car using my air compressor @ 80PSI.

*Picture below start after this point after another member made an interesting remark along the lines 'documenting what I did to be useful' * Until then, didn't really have a need to break out the camera but hey, why not? :beer: So yes, this is rather heavy on the details. I'm also not a fanboy of Poorboys. Wanted to try their line late last year so I ordered their line of stuff and used it on the Cobra. Works great and holds up pretty well to the Oklahoma weather.

Poorboys SSR3 locally on certain areas with a LC Purple pad (and the wetsanded hood). Car had plenty of swirls/holograms and several scratches
Poorboys SSR 2.5 over the entire car with LC's Orange pad.

Repeated wash/blow drying the car after this was completed. Checked work often using an IPA wipe and a bluemaxx light to make sure it was getting corrected vs. filled.

Poorboys SSR1 and LC's white pad over the entire vehicle.
Poorboys Pro Polish on another LC white pad.
Finally, LC gray pad and Poorboys EX Sealant just because I had some.

Before and after shots:
2008DodgeChargerR-T-24.jpg

2008DodgeChargerR-T-30.jpg

Before SSR1 and the latter steps.
2008DodgeChargerR-T-42.jpg

Completed panel
2008DodgeChargerR-T-34.jpg

2008DodgeChargerR-T-49.jpg

Front right quarter before:
2008DodgeChargerR-T-2.jpg

After:
2008DodgeChargerR-T-8.jpg

Small scratch (just below the top of the curb)
2008DodgeChargerR-T-25.jpg

After:
2008DodgeChargerR-T-46.jpg

2008DodgeChargerR-T-45.jpg

For fun...stock hood before:
2008DodgeChargerR-T-27.jpg

After:
2008DodgeChargerR-T-26.jpg

2008DodgeChargerR-T-35-1.jpg

2008DodgeChargerR-T-36.jpg

Rear deck before:
7389384616_87d41ec287_b.jpg

Rear deck after:
7389444924_254000e030_b.jpg
[/url]

No before picture (sorry)
2008DodgeChargerR-T-48.jpg

And full view completion.
2008ChargerRT100.jpg

7398745320_248a477057_b.jpg

One close up view of the new painted hood. Only polished thus far.
7380572092_67bf325c78_b.jpg
[/url]

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
BTW this is nothing against you...but this thread is FAR FAR from picture heavy. My small threads generally have around 25-30 pictures. With some threads going as high as 70-80 pictures.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
BTW this is nothing against you...but this thread is FAR FAR from picture heavy. My small threads generally have around 25-30 pictures. With some threads going as high as 70-80 pictures.

Ok then, few more to satisfy ya. Top two are wifes Edge after we loaned it to my mother in law, who promptly ran it though a damn automated car wash. :nonono:

FordEdge-1.jpg

FordEdge-2.jpg

And a close up of the hood, showing the reflection in the clouds post paint/wetsand/compounding/polishing. This hood is a decent aftermarket hood but required a little more prep to get it totally straight.

7377619390_cbc66b0e9f_b.jpg
[/url]

Hood was painted using Dupont Chromabase, mixed to the PXR paint code. Perfect match. Used a 1.3 tip and a wide fan to lay down the base and clear. Here is a test panel I worked up compared to the car.

2008ChargerColorMatch-1.jpg

And just for fun...taken a couple of days after I bought it.
7171327723_fa79087f47_b.jpg

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
looks like a straight mirror now! looks sweet:thumbsup:

my favorite is the 2nd to last pic, its so glossy it looks like black chrome

I almost wish this car wasn't the brilliant black pearl color and just regular black. Half tempted to repaint the whole thing now that I've said that. :thumbsup:

I'll be doing the calipers next just for the hell of it. Almost tempted to polish them since they are good and easy candidates for that as you can see here.

2008DodgeChargerR-T-43.jpg

Last edited:

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Looks good. Paint wasnt really that bad, so Poorboys Low Grade Polish was able to take everything out.

Why do you refer to it as low grade? Worked pretty well on my '79 C10 which was far more abused when I got it. What do you normally go to on black?

1979ChevyC10-17.jpg

The dots are solvent pop from the previous unknown painter doing things VERY thick.
1979ChevyC10-18.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread