NBA is f****** retarded

snake134

Are they really trying to appeal to the mexican/latino demographic by making jerseys that say "el heat" or "los bulls"? they look ****ing stupid and ridiculous. First of all, if they wanted to make the team names spanish, the heat would be el caliente, "los mavs" has no relevance whatsoever. secondly, a team's name is a team's name, dont **** with it. lastly, you are not going to gain that demographic anyways. our cultures are completely different. if anything they'll cheer for a local soccer team, but thats about it

[/ rant]

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
mexican/latino lol.. "El calor" brothe que caliente tu ta hablando!! Although they're playing caliente right now.

In all seriousness though I don't like the names either, throwing el or los in front is pretty dumb but funny nonetheless. The latino population is too big to ignore i guess. Los spurs all the way!

snake134

on second thought, as long as we're not los pistons, i couldn't care less how much the rest of the league makes a fool of themselves

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken, the el/los/las moniker started with the Spurs, as we have a large Hispanic population here in S. texas, as well as the fact that we have a few international players (Manu Ginobili, and Fab Oberto at one time) that are heavily followed by the Latino population in other countries. It grew as the NBA saw it as an opportunity to develop relations with Hispanic/Latin countries, as we have many international players from Spanish speaking countries in the League (Rudy Fernandez-Blazers, Carlos Delfino, Carlos Arroyo-Celtics, JJ Barea-Mavs, Pau Gasol-lakers, Marc Gasol-Grizz, Manu Ginobili-Spurs) and thats just a few off the tip top of my head.

Like it or not, its a clever marketing tactic by David Stern and the rest of the NBA lol

blwn306

Established Member
Yeah its dumb, but your wrong about the soccer comment....Mexicans/Latinos Love Basketball just about as much as they love soccer. Now if it was the NFL then yeah you would be right on..lol

AKcobra

Established Member
I think its BS! Politics and Basketball should not mix, but they probably making a ton of money off this crap. On another NBA note el Heat lost to the CAVS! hahahaha! I loved it!

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
I think its BS! Politics and Basketball should not mix, but they probably making a ton of money off this crap. On another NBA note el Heat lost to the CAVS! hahahaha! I loved it!

:lol: LOL.. so did Boston, the Lakers, and the Knicks (twice) and theyre all playoff bound teams (unlike the cavs) so what does that mean... theyre still 1-2 against 'El Heat'

Not to mention, didnt LeBron torch them for 39 on that court earlier in the season, including 20+ in the 3rd quarter, and later beat them again in Miami?

Lastly, he also had a triple double against them. Reminding them of why theyre the new 'Clippers' of the League lol. So Dandy Dan the Caveman can twitter "not in our garage" all he wants, but he'll still go home and cry in his bed, now that the Cavs franchise is worth 100 million dollars LESS since his Superstar is gone.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Don't get me started on the different language BS here. Naming anything in any other language but English in America is ****ing retarded. If you can't speak English in my country get the **** out and go back to your own.

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
Don't get me started on the different language BS here. Naming anything in any other language but English in America is ****ing retarded. If you can't speak English in my country get the **** out and go back to your own.

Missing the point here... NBA games are telecast internationally. They do it as a marketing tactic, which generates revenue, so international people can spend money on jerseys and whatnot.

That aside, America was inhabited by people who spoke other languages (French colony in the area that is now Louisiana, back in the 1500's is just one example) BEFORE it was colonized by British immigrants. the area spanning from Texas up to California was Mexico's before the U.S purchased it/went to war for it.

So that being said, there shouldnt be a reason to hold that kind of hostility toward people who occupied this country BEFORE it became "your country,"
simply because of the fact that they don't speak English. It's kind of ignorant to do so.

blwn306

Established Member
True, True, and very True...lol^^^

Its a marketing ploy that is all..hell here in S.A. everyone and there momma is repping the 'Los" jerseys..haha personally I really could careless..Bottom line its not about race its about money...

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Missing the point here... NBA games are telecast internationally. They do it as a marketing tactic, which generates revenue, so international people can spend money on jerseys and whatnot.

That aside, America was inhabited by people who spoke other languages (French colony in the area that is now Louisiana, back in the 1500's is just one example) BEFORE it was colonized by British immigrants. the area spanning from Texas up to California was Mexico's before the U.S purchased it/went to war for it.

So that being said, there shouldnt be a reason to hold that kind of hostility toward people who occupied this country BEFORE it became "your country,"
simply because of the fact that they don't speak English. It's kind of ignorant to do so.
They can take their "marketing tactic" and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Really don't care if people think it's ignorant or not, I'm not trying to win a popularity contest or run for a political position. I'm not a very politically correct person to begin with. But, last time I checked, The United States officially became American's land in 1776, we speak English here. It's claimed. When you sell a car, does that still give you rights to use it? To me, THAT is kind of ignorant to think so.

Too many people in the armed services have fought and died to keep this country the way it was started. Changing language in our nation to cater to a bunch of foreigners, and probably illegals here, is not one of them. I'm not just talking about this NBA thing now, but language in general.

Last edited:

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
They can take their "marketing tactic" and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Really don't care if people think it's ignorant or not, I'm not trying to win a popularity contest or run for a political position. I'm not a very politically correct person to begin with. But, last time I checked, The United States officially became American's land in 1776, we speak English here. It's claimed. When you sell a car, does that still give you rights to use it? To me, THAT is kind of ignorant to think so.

Too many people in the armed services have fought and died to keep this country the way it was started. Changing language in our nation to cater to a bunch of foreigners, and probably illegals here, is not one of them. I'm not just talking about this NBA thing now, but language in general.

Ok well that's great that your admission that you're not in to win any popularity contests, be politically correct, or be accommodating of other races and cultures, but assuming that we "cater to a bunch of foreigners, probably illegals is ignorant of you for obvious reasons, and secondly, the discussion is concerning the NBA's corny marketing tactic, NOT your views on foreigners. So you can take your short-sighted, off topic opinion and shove THAT where the sun don't shine.

Users who are viewing this thread