Nasty car cover

iamlightning03

Established Member
Ok. So. I been using the crap out of my car cover,and I really like it. But?
Can the thing be washed? I'm afraid if I wash it, then it would loose its water resistance.
That's all for now. Thanks..Carry on :D

Stri8ed

Killer
Established Member
Hand wash in the tub or outside in a trashcan and mild soap. Hang dry. DO NOT put it in a dryer.. Most water resistant covers have a thin layer of breathable plastic that make them water resistant, but drying them can melt the plastic. Thats my suggestion, its what i did with mine.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Can the thing be washed? I'm afraid if I wash it, then it would loose its water resistance.

When I bought my Weathertech cover from Calif. Car Covers I asked about cleaning. They said machine wash (a large laundomat front loader washer) with 1/2 cup of Fantastic spray cleaner, and tumble dry on low, or even no heat in the large front load dryer where you wash it. I've done this many times, with many covers, it works great.

They said make sure to use Fantastic, not Dawn, not some other cleaner.......Fantastic.

R

5574Redfire

Established Member
I have taken my OEM shelby cover to a laundromat and used the large washer and a half dose of woolite. When the cycle finished I ran it through another cycle of just water to make sure it was rinsed well. I then took it home and hung it up to dry downstairs and it worked well. It still has all of its water resistance and it did a good job of cleaning it.

5574Redfire

Established Member
Forgot to mention......use the gentle cycle and I used warm water. I didn't want to use hot or cold.

Langfordd

What kind of cover do you have? I got mine from CoverQuest.com and they suggest to never clean the cover in a washer with a center agitator (except WeatherShield® HP fabric covers), do not use fabric softner, and never dry a non woven or specialty type cover in a dryer.

You can see how to clean a car cover in their auto cover guide.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
What kind of cover do you have? I got mine from CoverQuest.com and they suggest to never clean the cover in a washer with a center agitator (except WeatherShield® HP fabric covers), do not use fabric softner, and never dry a non woven or specialty type cover in a dryer.

You can see how to clean a car cover in their auto cover guide.

I would guess that an agitator could do some damage. The front loader is best, with tumbling and spinning action only.

R

Users who are viewing this thread