Nascar 2017 Rule Changes?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Thoughts?

Seems to me that they keep trying to make the racing more interesting by slapping on all these band-aids instead of addressing the real issues, the cars and tracks are less interesting. I miss watching single-groove Bristol, Wilksboro, Rockingham, etc. I don't think it's even really the car's fault. Nascar racing is simply best when it is door-to-door on a short track.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The Martinsville race was good. Largely over the past couple years the racing hasn't been all that great.

The cars have been neutered to the point where the talent level to be competitive isn't as great. NASCAR I think was trying to even up the field to make for better racing, but what's happened is that you basically have XFINITY cars in the cup level with top talent. As a result of the driver being taken more and more out of the equation it's come down engineering. There's obviously a place for that in the sport, but it's not driver-centric anymore.

So to curb that they institute stage racing to force cautions. I still enjoy it, but it's less and less traditional racing and more gimmick.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I wish they would let just drivers fight to settle their grievances...Seriously, just take the pair feuding to the infield, throw some 16 ounce gloves on them and let them go at it till they are gassed, or one is KTFO...

Famine

Established Member
Nascar has always been boring. Sorry, but they need to have turns in racing. Not just a miserable circle. The cars do sound amazing though.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
All of the new rule changes work for me. I'm a long time fan and attend 3 or 4 races a year. I do think the crash clock needs tweaked to 8 or 10 min but at that point the car is already numerous laps down and in the way. Either way it's not a deal breaker for me. Segments are definitely a good addition. Anyone who says otherwise is crazy. I'd sacrifice a few laps of green flag for drivers trying to lock in those segments. Also for the road course people, the rumor is that they will be running the road course at Charlotte next year as well. I'd like to see them add road America. Not sure if it's setup safety wise to run a cup race though.
Might get flamed for this but I will say it would be nice if they quiet the cars down 20-30 decibels. It's being discussed. It's to the point now I can't even hear my scanner at the track when I used to hear it great. They are definitely getting louder and louder.

Users who are viewing this thread