Nasal Polyps, anyone dealt with them?

CSD

Banned
I went to the ENT doctor and he diagnosed me with nasal polyps. He has me on meds now to help keep them at bay for the time being while I ponder surgery. Any advice or experience would be appreciated, I'm on the fence with this.

Backstory: I've always dealt with seasonal allergies, but nothing as severe as this year. After Hurricane Sandy hit New Jersey, my sinuses have been a nightmare. A few weeks after it hit, I became very sick with asthmatic bronchitis. It cleared up within a month and I was all better, minus my sinus problem. I've been taking over the counter allergy medication to keep it under control. Fast forward to early July, I started feeling drowsy and run down, some days I had no energy at all. I knew something was wrong.

My trip to the ENT revealed polyps and post nasal drip, which is causing me to deal with asthma., something I've never had in my life. This whole sinus mess is causing the fatigue. I can't smell a thing with these damn polyps.

I need to make a decision and fast, please post your thoughts. Thanks! :beer:

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I have a MSgt at my shop that deals with them. He always sounds stopped up and it really screws up his breathing. I'm pretty sure he had surgery and more formed (?) months later.

Hope it works out for you man.

CSD

Banned
I have a MSgt at my shop that deals with them. He always sounds stopped up and it really screws up his breathing. I'm pretty sure he had surgery and more formed (?) months later.

Hope it works out for you man.

This is why I'm on the fence. I've done some research online and learned the possibility exist for them to come back. Why should I go through hell and be out of work for God knows how long if they're going to come back and put me right back at square one. Frustrating!

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
You can get the ones you have now removed. Then the ones that pop up after that. It sucks, but it beats having your nasal cavities completely clogged all the time. And it's not the worst thing in life one would have to deal with.

Whichever way you go, I hope it works out for you.

J-Hem

Guy Trilby
Established Member
My teenage daughter has them bad. After considering everything she did not have the surgery. She gets by pretty well on prescription spray and medication. My stepdad same thing plus he had other financial implications (like missing worrk like you said). So long story short I've heard the surgery isnt "all that". I hope whatever you decide works out well.

CSD

Banned
Someone has a defect nose? LOL!

Wanna trade?

My teenage daughter has them bad. After considering everything she did not have the surgery. She gets by pretty well on prescription spray and medication. My stepdad same thing plus he had other financial implications (like missing worrk like you said). So long story short I've heard the surgery isnt "all that". I hope whatever you decide works out well.

That's the other issue. I can't be on this steroid nasal spray forever as long term side effects are possible.

I'm between a rock and a hard place with this.

Dragu1a

Established Member
i'd opt for the surgery. there's a "chance" they can come back. it's not guaranteed...i'd get it and as soon as possible.

phils04gt

Established Member
I had a good size one in my maxillary sinus. Doc went in and got it out. 2 years and hasn't returned. Surgery was about a hour and I was good to go later that night.

Zemedici

Established Member
I have them, they interfere with my sense of smell, as well as my breathing. At night I am required to breathe through my mouth, and it actually inhibits my ability to get a good night's sleep. I have pondered the surgery, but my doctor told me they could potentially return. The doctor prescribed some steroids for them, but once they were gone, he didnt refill the scrip....so they're back with a vengeance now.

It's crazy, I remember back when I had the steroid spray, it would literally open my my sinuses, and I would have more energy and everything.

Last edited:

CSD

Banned
I had a good size one in my maxillary sinus. Doc went in and got it out. 2 years and hasn't returned. Surgery was about a hour and I was good to go later that night.

Painful? Back to work right away? I've yet to see the doc again to ask these questions.

I have them, they interfere with my sense of smell, as well as my breathing. At night I am required to breathe through my mouth, and it actually inhibits my ability to get a good night's sleep. I have pondered the surgery, but my doctor told me they could potentially return. The doctor prescribed some steroids for them, but once they were gone, he didnt refill the scrip....so they're back with a vengeance now.

It's crazy, I remember back when I had the steroid spray, it would literally open my my sinuses, and I would have more energy and everything.

Same here, although most nights now I'm sleeping peacefully. Things are improving with the spray, but like your situation, it's a temporary fix. It seems like surgery is my only option. Fixing this would also get rid of my asthma. I can't drink alcohol now as it brings on an attack and I can't run more than a mile.

Zemedici

Established Member
Same here, although most nights now I'm sleeping peacefully. Things are improving with the spray, but like your situation, it's a temporary fix. It seems like surgery is my only option. Fixing this would also get rid of my asthma. I can't drink alcohol now as it brings on an attack and I can't run more than a mile.

Yeah i'm debating the surgery as well, but my medical history is not so great (been to shitty doctor after shitty doctor) so I'm trying to put it off as long as I can, but the sleepless nights are catching up to me. I would go ahead and do the surgery.

98v8

Established Member
I had some removed when I was 7 and they haven't come back yet I'm 22 now. I remember never being able to sleep and terrible allergies. After the surgery I slept much better I still have some allergies but not nearly as bad hope this helps

LS1SS

Established Member
Never dealt with them but from my experience with the surgery you will feel better immediately and your recovery time should be pretty quick.

allister

Established Member
MAKE SURE YOU SEE A SECOND DOCTOR!! I also have seasonal allergies and when I was in my younger 20's I was having a particularly bad year. My ENT doctor wanted to do surgery for deviated septum. My main issues though were in my ears and the doctor tried to convince me it was all related. I saw another doctor who said I didn't need it, did some more research and found out a lot of ENT doctors were scamming people and telling people they need this surgery, trying to convince them to get it, when in fact it they didn't really need it, but they knew it was a easy quick money making surgery for them!!

The second doctor I saw validated that I didn't need the surgery (yes, I have a deviated septum, but so do 75% of people). I'm pretty sure the surgery is very similar for that and nasal polyps in that they cauterize the inside tissue tissue. After the surgery a common problem is nose bleeds. Anyways, I didn't want any of that and here I am at least 5 years later and doing just fine.

A couple years ago my original doctor left his field, apparently he just picked up and left. Not sure what ever happened to him. There was a dateline special one time about doctors like him trying to get everyone that walked through the door to get that surgery. So just be careful and make sure you really need it before you get it done. Good luck!!

allister

Established Member
Oh and about your fatigue, it could be your allergy meds causing it, so try switching them up before considering surgery too. There's a ton out there on the market your doctor or another should have lots of samples. Out of Zyrtec, Allegra and Claritin OTC, Clairitin worked the best for me.

phils04gt

Established Member
Mine was not painful at all. I could have went back to work right away, but in flight school they put me med down for a while. Kicked my feet up and enjoyed my time off.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
I'd get a second opinion anytime the option is going under the knife for any surgery. If at all possible it can be fixed to where you don't have to be cut open I'd explore that first. However, if it's something you just can't live with do the surgery.

Just my .02

CSD

Banned
Can't they remove them surgically?

Yes, but they can come back months or years later. So it could be all for nothing.

Oh and about your fatigue, it could be your allergy meds causing it, so try switching them up before considering surgery too. There's a ton out there on the market your doctor or another should have lots of samples. Out of Zyrtec, Allegra and Claritin OTC, Clairitin worked the best for me.

I've been taking Claritin D since April, its non drowsy. It did the job.. I started feeling fatigue around early July, when my sinuses became exponentially worse.

Users who are viewing this thread