Narrowed my choices down... (Bikes)

03CobraBro

Established Member
I'm going to be picking up a new bike in the next 3 weeks to a month and I'v narrowed it down to the 07 Kawasaki 650R Ninja or a left over 06 Suzuki Katana 600.

Now I know for whatever reason not too many people are fawned of the Katana but everything I'v read about them seems to put it as a reasonable beginner bike for a bike in that class. I'm also impressed by the leg room it has and, atleast with my limited knowledge, it seems to have a nice power band for a neophyte rider such as myself.

The 650R on the other hand seems to be a very nice choice too. Has alot of leg room, looks sexy as hell, and it doesnt seem too over powered for me at 70hp. Not to mention its one of Kawi's newest additions.

I'm standing firm on these 2 bikes so while you are free to add your input on another bike I'm mostly interested in the compares and contrasts of these two.

tistan

Established Member
Buy a used bike. You will probably lay it down. Even if you don't you will want to step up to something bigger after the first year. You will lose money on it when you try to sell it.

husker4life

speed demon
Established Member
That's one of the biggest problems, Idiots on bikes. (stunters)
there is no reason to get a bigger bike... If you ride the bike for what it's used for (track time or commuter) you will only need to step up if your skill level is beyond the bike.. which is very slim to none. I've been on a 600 for years now and have no want to step up...

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
I'm not lookin for something to go out and do an Endo on. I just want a bike, I like the style of bike, and I'm lookin for something that I could ride to work on a nice day or cruise somewhere in the evening. Speed isn't my main concern right now though I do desire something with alittle pickup (Which is why I think the 600 area seems reasonable). I already have an 11 second car and thats plenty for me.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Well, IMO as mentioned I would buy used if possible. Its going to save you a lot of meney and (hopefully you dont) but if you do drop it you wont feel so bad. I just picked up my R1 a few months ago and had the cash to buy a brand new one, but decided on this one since its was a reasonable price, obviously I dont want to drop it since its in mint condition but I wont feel as bad as if I just had paid $12K for one. Have you looked into other 600's, like a CBR, R6, 636 etc? Great starter bikes imo, I started on a 600 CBR. Dont kid yourself, you say it now but I guarantee you once you get used to riding you will want a stronger bike. A newer 600 is more than you'll ever need as mentioned, so if I were you starting out I would look into one of those and be happy for years before moving up if you desire.

99 svtcobra

i am about to pick up a gsx-r 600 for 5200. Only has 5k on it.. Which is fine by me since it will be my first bike..

cobrafan

Users who are viewing this thread