N/A Tune?

ericburt

Established Member
Well i have a 97 cobra, i was thinking about taking the car to my local speed shop to have a tune/dyno tune done to it. Few of my friends are saying it's pointless because the car is N/A. The shop i want a dyno tune at is a very reputable shop and thousands of mustangs get work done there. Would anyone know if an N/A tune/dyno tune is worth it?

Any input would be appreciated!

luke87gt

Established Member
I just recently got my mostly stock 96 tuned and I do think it was worth it (granted I did a remote tune where I data-logged the sensors and A/F and the tuner refined it until we had it right - it was a lot cheaper than driving into a shop for a dyno tune).

An effective tune not only improves WOT performance but also part throttle and throttle response.

But don't expect any performance gains that are going to blow you away...

Tunes are really worth the money in more modified applications where the A/F ratio, timing, and driveability may be very far from optimal with the stock tune.

Last edited:

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
It's a nice peace of mind.

I always get scared of romping on the car after doing some mods.. But after seeing my tuner beat the snot out of it on the dyno and everything is okay, I sleep well at night.

ericburt

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I was leaning towards a dyno tune to see what the car puts down now. During the winter we're putting a blower in the car so i just wanna get the car up to par before we proceed with anymore mods.

luke87gt

Established Member
ummm, if you are slapping on a blower in the winter it makes zero sense to blow $500+ on a tune now (assuming you already have a handheld).

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
ummm, if you are slapping on a blower in the winter it makes zero sense to blow $500+ on a tune now (assuming you already have a handheld).

This. I would dyno run it just for baseline purposes so you can see the gains you get down the road but a tune now is just a waste of money since you'll be right back in a few months.

97crystalwhite

ah whatsup DOHC?!
Established Member
i would go ahead and get it tuned. you could pull 15-25 rwhp off the tune, and not to mention it will run better. i did it, and didnt regret it.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Just get it dynoed to see what it puts down if you are that curious but I'd pass on the tune if the car is running fine with the aforementioned mods.

luke87gt

Established Member
i would go ahead and get it tuned. you could pull 15-25 rwhp off the tune, and not to mention it will run better. i did it, and didnt regret it.

15-25rwhp is extremely unlikely with a stock motor.

You can probably expect 7-12rwhp peak with a good tune. Like I said above however, peak is not everything... A good tune will pick up at all RPMs (part throttle & WOT) and improve throttle response.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Unless your tuner gives you free re-tunes then leave it alone until the blower.
Then all you pay for the 2nd time is the Dyno.

Users who are viewing this thread