N/A Cobra plug gap?

USMCracing

Established Member
I'm going to change my plugs later today and was wondering where everyone is gaping their plugs? I got NGK TR55s and Ford Racing 9mm wires. I think the stock gap is .052? I know the SC Cobra's are gaping thiers to .035 but what about a N/A Cobra. Thanks

Steven:beer:

USMCracing

Established Member
Well I already changed them, gapped them to .042. I do have to say that the Ford Racing 9mm wires were all about a inch or two inches longer then stock which made fitment a PITA.
Should I regap them to the stock .052? I haven't really driven my Cobra since, just a short couple mile test drive. I haven't been working since the bew Baby (took some time off) and anytime we go to town we drive the Expedition. Something cool that I learned about the Expedition is that all the filters are the same as the Cobra. So my old drop in K&N works in the Expedition, Sweet! Thanks

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by USMCracing
Well I already changed them, gapped them to .042. I do have to say that the Ford Racing 9mm wires were all about a inch or two inches longer then stock which made fitment a PITA.
Should I regap them to the stock .052? I haven't really driven my Cobra since, just a short couple mile test drive. I haven't been working since the bew Baby (took some time off) and anytime we go to town we drive the Expedition. Something cool that I learned about the Expedition is that all the filters are the same as the Cobra. So my old drop in K&N works in the Expedition, Sweet! Thanks

based on other posts, i'd say .054" is optimum....that's what my tuner suggested for mine anyway....

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by quick01snake
based on other posts, i'd say .054" is optimum
You base your plug gaps on these posts, I'm going to gap mine off the dyno #'s. ;-)

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Originally posted by ALLNTRL
You base your plug gaps on these posts, I'm going to gap mine off the dyno #'s. ;-)
.054 is best for N/A, Smaller gaps will cause the plug to burn hotter and possibly cause detonation, or just burn the electrode and ceramic off which will drop in the cylinder. Best case if that happens is it gets blown out the exhaust, need I tell you worst case?

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by STAMPEDE3
.054 is best for N/A
Sorry but for 96-98 NA Cobra's .045 provides the best Dyno #'s. I have seen several 96-98 dyno tested with nothing but this plug gap changed and at .045 the cars usually pickup 2-5 RWHP and you should see those gains thru the entire powerband.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Originally posted by ALLNTRL
Sorry but for 96-98 NA Cobra's .045 provides the best Dyno #'s. I have seen several 96-98 dyno tested with nothing but this plug gap changed and at .045 the cars usually pickup 2-5 RWHP and you should see those gains thru the entire powerband.
not here to argue but I'm not going for 2-5rwhp at the cost of a piston. I've seen many times what to hot a plug or to small gap can do.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by STAMPEDE3
not here to argue but I'm not going for 2-5rwhp at the cost of a piston. I've seen many times what to hot a plug or to small gap can do.

i'm assuming that's why my tuner suggested .054"

Users who are viewing this thread