N/A Build questions, stroker kit worth it?

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
Im in the process of laying out plans for a rebuild on my 99.

Im doing to do a simple rebuild, stock compression, forged internals, new 99/01 heads with some mild porting, just want to build a solid reliable motor.

My question is, am I stupid to think about adding a stroker kit to it? Would I see any noticable gain for an N/A motor? Ive been thinking about adding cams to the mix aswell.

Currently the motor is at 320 RWHP on a mustang dyno, Ive got a ported upper and lower intake, TB, longtube headers, prochamber and tuned

Thanks

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
You said simple rebuild, then mentioned cams. Which is it? I say go for it, you will pick up some extra torque and hp that you will feel.

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
Well, I do want to keep it simple, but adding a stroker kit isnt that simple.

Basicly I was thinking since Im rebuilding it, should I go the stroker route if its worth it. If I stroke it I wouldnt be able to do cams at some point.

I get the feeling stroker isnt the way to go with the plans I have for the motor. Cams might be the better choice since I dont plan on adding any boost later on.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
A stroker kit as well as any other way of increasing displacement will always increase HP (as long as there is no other restriction in the system), the 5.0 stroker for the most part with no other changes will make 25-35 ft lb /hp. With the Big Bore we see similar gains. If you are doing a forged rebuild this is a nice way to add some HP without killing your wallet.

Best of luck with your build, let us know how we can help!

MMR
Modular Motorsports Racing

vegas%20new%20bumper.jpg

Last edited:

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
I will probably end up sending my engine to MMR but have some questions. Whats the best way to contact you? PM or calling the MMR phone number?

01cobracmdr

Established Member
I'm going with a MMR 5.0 stroker short block next week. Quality parts, decent price and an awesome platform for anything you can throw at it.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
The stroker doesn't complicate things, the cams do. In choosing cams you have to factor in idle quality, do you need new valve springs, getting them degreed, checking piston to valve clearance, ect. You never said what your goals for the car are. You need to be honest with yourself on what you want and then you need to plan it out and stick to it. Any particular reason you are doing a rebuild?

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
The reason for the rebuild is the engine has 155K on it and is burning oil worse and worse and compression in a few cylinders has dropped over the past coulpe years.

The cobra is my semi-daily driver with my furture plans to stop driving it daily and to make it a weekened cruiser as well as a lapping car and other driving events, hill climbs etc.

So I want to rebuild it and have a solid stronge engine that I can beat on and it will hold what I throw at it. Not looking to make tons of power and no plans on putting a blower on it. It would be nice to have around 400 crank HP 350-360 wheel HP when it is complete.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
A stroker would be good. Adding displacement is one of they few power adders that does not affect the street manners. Do it. You will not be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread