Mythbusters to answer life's most important question!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SN95StangMan

Established Member
"We put the plane on a quarter-mile conveyor belt and tested it out," says Savage about the experiment using a pilot and his Ultralight plane. "I won't tell you what the outcome was, but the pilot and his entire flight club got it wrong."

http://www.mercurynews.com/food/ci_7320206

From what I've found, the episode will air December 12th...

:pepper::banana::beer::rockon::burnout::burn:

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Oh, no you didn't.....This thread will go pages............For those that don't know, alot of pilots included. The plane will fly.!!!!!!!!!!!

bugmenot

Established Member
Its about time someone does this. Anybody that belongs to supraforums should know all about this. There was like a 15 page argument over it 2-3 months ago.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i dont think it will fly
the conveyor belt creates a fan effect that blows the air at a 45* angle that pushes into the front and the bottom of the wings, causing lift to occur, DUH!!! LOL

i want to know who the hell thought up the whole "plane on a conveyor belt" thing, cause damn is it persistant!

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
We should all start a myth that you can't get that one redhead to pose nude on a Cobra! Maybe they will try to solve that one!!!

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
I don't understand how it's an argument. Without air flowing over the wings, they cannot create lift and therefore, no flight. Unless of course there is something I'm over looking, it's not going to happen!

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
yes, your overlooking the fact the plane doesn't push on the treadmill like a car would. a plane pushes off the air and the wheels spin independently.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
i couldn't imagine it working because there is no airflow running over the airfoil design of the wing to create lift, it would be staying in place. however they did say that everyone in the flight club got it wrong, sooo who knows

brian766

Established Member
yes, your overlooking the fact the plane doesn't push on the treadmill like a car would. a plane pushes off the air and the wheels spin independently.

ah, now I understand how it works.:thumbsup: So, the treadmill doesn't actually effect the speed of the plain?

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
It will not fly........crap.........or will it?

Last edited:

canibus

Established Member
so if the plane's wheels are independent, wouldn't that mean that the plane would in theory already be flying. because the engines would have to build the necessary power to keep the conveyor from sending it backwards. once that takeoff power is met on the conveyor the plane should be able to begin lift. i say it will fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread