Mystics?

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
Do you guys think that the mystics will ever become a true "collectors car"? I'm really debating on selling mine, but it just seems that eventually they'll become valuable. Also, mine's at 133k miles, so I really don't know if it'd ever become worth something more. I'm figuring if they do become valuable, it'll be a long ways down the road. What are your thoughts on this?

BlownCobra32v

Kickin' back
Established Member
Mine is a 1 owner,65k mile and I'm not thinking there gonna be collector items, every Joe shmoe that painted there Cutlass or Caprice some sort of chromatic color ruined it for the Mystic.

BASF sold the rights to the chromatic technology and just about every paint manufacturer makes some sort of color changing base coat, although they cannot duplicate the exact Mystic color it is pretty close at certain angles. You can actually fool the naked eye by blending a panel but an X-rite machine tells the truth :). There is actually 2 Mystics that were pre-produced in 95 (both 5.0 verts) to get color approval from Ford MoCo. one is sitting in the BASF atrium located Southfiled Mi. I see it every morning when I walk to my lab ;-), and the other is owned by the Ford MoCo design center in Dearborn.

Last edited:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Unless you bubble wrap it now and keep it for another 30 -40 years you may as well drive it & enjoy it.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
Will Mystics sell for a decent buck at collector auctions someday in the future, sure eventually.. will yours, no. not being a dick but your car isnt a supremely clean 25 Mile that people want to collect.. you may get someone to pay a little more for your cobra than an average color, but that's about it.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
Will Mystics sell for a decent buck at collector auctions someday in the future, sure eventually.. will yours, no. not being a dick but your car isnt a supremely clean 25 Mile that people want to collect.. you may get someone to pay a little more for your cobra than an average color, but that's about it.

Yep, you're not telling me anything I don't already know. I'm pretty sure I'm selling mine either way. However, I was just curious as to the general opinion of these cars. I've seen cars that were more rare than the mystics never raise in value. I know the 60's model cars are just now (within the last 10 years) skyrocketing it seems (but that's only the ones in prestine condition).

out99sider

Established Member
Mine is a 1 owner,65k mile and I'm not thinking there gonna be collector items, every Joe shmoe that painted there Cutlass or Caprice some sort of chromatic color ruined it for the Mystic.

BASF sold the rights to the chromatic technology and just about every paint manufacturer makes some sort of color changing base coat, although they cannot duplicate the exact Mystic color it is pretty close at certain angles. You can actually fool the naked eye by blending a panel but an X-rite machine tells the truth :). There is actually 2 Mystics that were pre-produced in 95 (both 5.0 verts) to get color approval from Ford MoCo. one is sitting in the BASF atrium located Southfiled Mi. I see it every morning when I walk to my lab ;-), and the other is owned by the Ford MoCo design center in Dearborn.

pics or ban! thats so cool, i would love this see pics of that car.

89armygt

Established Member
Oh man thats bogus. But would be really sweet to see. When do you think they will sell that car? Id buy that in a heartbeat and park that son of a gun in my garage. Thats gonna be worth something in 20 or so years im sure.

But I have to agree with the comments posted already. There is already a bunch of color shifting car paints its ridiculous. Takes away from our cars rarity. And because of that most people dont know that its a factory painted Mystic Cobra. They think its just some aftermarket paint. I for one am just gonna drive my mystic till it falls apart. Ill keep it for a very long time and will probably do a B-headed turbo monster in a few years.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
The part that get's me is that I have in my mind it's a "show" car. I feel like if it got hail (or some other) damage it'd be the end of the world and I'd be screwed if I tried to sale it then (even if damage had been fixed). That's got me looking to sell. I can't name the number of people that thought I was lying when I said the paint is factory.

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
^^ I get the same thing regarding it being factory paint. The thing is it depends on whos looking at buying it. I had a guy who bought a new GT500 who was really excited to check my car out. He thought he'd never see/get one (there were only 250 sent to Canada). Other people think its just another mustang with a custom paint job. I figure regardless of what car I buy/drive I'll still take care of it and enjoy it whether its percieved as collectable or not. The other thing to remember is 40 years ago the muscle cars were JUST cars, and they beat them mercilessly. Now we get all excited about a restored/restomodded one because of what they represent. Maybe our "muscle" cars will be the same (regardless of Gt, cobra, ss, etc), not neccesarily in a Barrett Jackson sense but someone who had one will say "cool car I had one in HS".
Btw I'm more concerned with chips etc because of how expensive it is to paint a mystic, but if it gets damaged somehow I figure thats what I pay insurance for. You've got a nice car, keep it and enjoy it!

Last edited:

sc98cbra

Established Member
It all depends how much a person will pay for the car. Someone can easily duplicate the color. If it were me, Original mystic or not, I would pay more for one of them than, say, a rio red cobra. I just love the Mystic/BASF color. If I would have put some thought into everything I have done for my car, I would have bought a black/tan Convertible and painted it BASF ;).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread