Mystic Paint.. whata biotch

96mystic

Wannabe postslut
Established Member
Well, after searching for the mystic paint for hmmm 3 months, my local ford delearship told me to pretty much get the hell outa here... kinda wierd.. said they couldnt find it. Anyway so i went to the next for dealership that had a certified paint body shop, and they could get it no prob. So now ma baby's getting her rear quarter pannel and bumper painted.. should be done in about a week.. i cant wait! :)

BTW, anyone wanna take a guess on how much its gonna cost?
:eek: :eek: :eek:

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
that paint is a BIaTch to get a hold of and its expensive... for my first car which was a 90 5.0 hatchback the paint was distroyed so i wanted the "camelion" or mystic paint....the shop almost doubled the price and they told me "IF" they could get it ....so i just went with black came out sweet...

Mystic 544

Established Member
The invoice to do my rear bumber read $910
Now if I could just get some one to roll into my front bumper so I can get it touched up :D

CJsV8Bird

The local dealership where my mystic was repainted (someone keyed every single body panel, it was before I bought it though) quoted 1500 to paint a Saleen body kit for it.

They say that mystic costs about 500 a quart. (Cheaper if you're repainting the whole car.) And regular Ford bodyshops can't paint it. They have to fly (or drive, if they're close) in someone from SVT.

The regular Ford mechanics wouldn't even look at my transmission, just b/c it's a Cobra, even though it's the same damn tranny. Lazy bums.

MeanMystic

Established Member
My Mystic was repainted in 2000 after I hit a mailbox. I had to go through a lot of paper work and b.s. Their is a form to get filled out at a SVT ford dealership with a body shop. A BASF rep will come and verify that the car to be painted is a Mystic. The paint will be delivered to the shop via personel from BASF out of Atlanta, GA. They took all the extra back, filters for the booth, and scraped the extra off the floor. My car took 4+ months to get done. They had to wetsand and reclear the parts of the car that did not get fresh paint. Mystics are know for the clear coat yellowing.

All I had done
-2 hoods
-Front Bumper
-Steeda Wing
-Pass Fender
-Cervinis Side Scoops
-Pass Quarter

Total Price was 3800 with minimal body work. Labor was 1200, Paint was 2600.

96mystic

Wannabe postslut
Established Member
Well mines in the shop getting painted right now.. gonna cost me 1200 to paint rear left quarter pannel and bumper...and it's gonna be done this friday.. total of 5 days..

max

Established Member
I'm sure your shop could have gotten some chameleon paint for you, but not the Mystic. Unless you have a '96 Mystic, BASF won't release any to the painter for said job. You might find something close to the mystic, but it won't be mystic.

Originally posted by 97greensnake
that paint is a BIaTch to get a hold of and its expensive... for my first car which was a 90 5.0 hatchback the paint was distroyed so i wanted the "camelion" or mystic paint....the shop almost doubled the price and they told me "IF" they could get it ....so i just went with black came out sweet...

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Why the "Mystery" with the paint? I know its a special color for a special car, but why are they guarding it so much? You'd think the aftermarket would be a place where they could make some money on the stuff, since Ford isn't using it anymore.

max

Established Member
I think some of the pigment changing stuff is in the homolgram effects of the the European currency.

MeanMystic

Established Member
I asked the BASF rep when he was at my car. The story goes that BASF makes the green dye for the us dollar bill, the same green pigment is supposed to be in the mysic paint. When the paint is delivered it is settled and very easy to extract the color code to get a perfect match for dollar bill green. I did not beleive the guy till he took me out to my uncleared (dull) mystic and put a dollar on the hood. The greens matched perfectly. I dunno if it is actually true or he was just real good at bsing.

However i can go into my local paint store and order PPG Harliquin, DuPont Chromillusion, and House of Color Camelion with absolutly no problems. Which are all color shifting paints.

96mystic

Wannabe postslut
Established Member
Originally posted by MeanMystic
I asked the BASF rep when he was at my car. The story goes that BASF makes the green dye for the us dollar bill, the same green pigment is supposed to be in the mysic paint. When the paint is delivered it is settled and very easy to extract the color code to get a perfect match for dollar bill green. I did not beleive the guy till he took me out to my uncleared (dull) mystic and put a dollar on the hood. The greens matched perfectly. I dunno if it is actually true or he was just real good at bsing.

However i can go into my local paint store and order PPG Harliquin, DuPont Chromillusion, and House of Color Camelion with absolutly no problems. Which are all color shifting paints.

Yeah yer exactly right, the green pigment in the mystic paint is same as used to make US dollar bills.. Main reason they never give out the code is to prevent counterfitters getting ahold of it.

And without a true mystic.. you'll never see this paint anywhere else... When Shaquile O'neal played for the magic here in orlando, he tried paying alot of cash to get the mystic paint on his new ride.. they denied his ass over and over, no mystic = no paint. Which i beleive is good for the mystic owners, atleast we stay somewhat unique :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread