Mystic Mystichrome Porsche 996

apollo7

Established Member
Ran across two of these cars in a week, which I thought was odd. Apparently Porsche did a year 2000 Millennium edition 996 (A 911 built between 1999 and 2004) with color shifting paint. Looks more like a 1996 Mystic than a 2003 Mystichrome, but cool anyhow.

Probably worth about $25,000 if the car is in great shape, but the Porsche guys don't like the 996's because they are the first 911'a with radiators and the base 996 engine had a nasty habit of grenading itself when the cam bearing lets loose. You can get a 996 CHEAP, cars 10+ years older with more miles can go for 4x as much.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle...porsche-911-millennium-edition-827-911-a.html

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-porsche-911-carrera-4-3/

Laffs

Drop-da-top
Established Member
The IMS bearing issues on 996 and early 997.1 is pretty hyped, similar to 03 Cobra "Head Tick" albeit with an elevated repair cost. They have a number of good fixes or preventative measures that can be done at the same time as a clutch repair which gets you in to a Porsche 911 for not a lot of money. I've been watching the car on BaT, love the spec but prefer the 996.2 (01-04) headlights. A clean Seal Grey 996.2 with natural leather or black interior is a slam dunk car IMO. These cars are at or near the bottom of their pricing, 996 Turbos hit bottom at 35-40k a few years ago and now finding one sub 45k is tricky.

Aircooled stuff isn't really an apt comparison as they offer totally different driving and ownership experiences. That and from a collect ability standpoint they are far more desirable although it seems like the market is slightly cooling with impact bumper cars falling below 40k in a lot of cases.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The 996 is the redheaded stepchild of 911s. If you really love or have to have a 911, a 996 is about the cheapest price of entry you're going to find for a low/decent mileage used 911. But if it's not a Turbo, don't bother unless you want an albatross around your neck. The 996 Turbos are slowly starting to creep back up in value now that more people are realizing they can get a 911 Turbo for relatively cheap.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Not enough flip flop in the paint for my taste.
that is because they are bastardizations of the ford paint. NOTHING looks as good as the original ford paint, but there are a lot of wannabes out there

apollo7

Established Member
when I see a dude in a non turbo 911 I think to myself....I didn't know hair dressers got paid that much! (excluding GT cars)

Funny, I'm in the market for a 911 or a 964 non-turbo. I figure I've got enough HP with the Cobra, and just wanted a 220 HP frauline to cruise around in. Maybe like driving your winter beater and the guy next to you pulls up in his summer car.

Users who are viewing this thread