Mystic Cobra

93LITE

Established Member
Just wondering if you guys can give me and idea on Mystic Cobra prices. I'm thinking of a low milage stock vehicle. How much is going tobe a far price? Thanks

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
You are going to have a hard time with that. I would say around $16k.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by Booyah
You are going to have a hard time with that. I would say around $16k.
I agree on both points... There were only 1,999 made, so someone might try to get a few grand more, but in the real world of auto sales, collectibility doesn't really matter with regard to selling price (i.e., Kelly Blue Book and NADA do not take color/collectibility into account when they publish their used car prices...) . This is a great time of year to buy a Cobra, don't wait 'til spring/summer, the prices will go up, even though the car is six months older...

Mystic 544

Established Member
I would say around $16k

Ouch...way Low!
I see a few here and there in the Chicago land area every once and awhile and they still ask mid 20's...and they don't last long on the lot!
I remember seeing one about a month ago with 60K miles and it was $18 and change.
Last summer down in central IL a guy traded in his Mystic (only a couple hundred miles on the clock) on an R and the guy that bought it payed $26K.

I don't think I will ever sell mine! First brand new car I bought, tons of show trophies, fun at the track and always the center of attention.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by Mystic 544

Ouch...way Low!
I see a few here and there in the Chicago land area every once and awhile and they still ask mid 20's...and they don't last long on the lot!
I remember seeing one about a month ago with 60K miles and it was $18 and change.
Last summer down in central IL a guy traded in his Mystic (only a couple hundred miles on the clock) on an R and the guy that bought it payed $26K.

I don't think I will ever sell mine! First brand new car I bought, tons of show trophies, fun at the track and always the center of attention.

Reason I say 16k is because I haven't seen one for sale with a low number of miles on it. Most I have seen are average for the year not storage miles.

svtguy

Established Member
Originally posted by 93LITE
Just wondering if you guys can give me and idea on Mystic Cobra prices. I'm thinking of a low milage stock vehicle. How much is going tobe a far price? Thanks

93LITE, what is your idea of low milage? 100, 1k, 10k, 30k? This will help in determining a price.

Paul

93LITE

Established Member
I would like one with under 25000, and pretty much stock. Thanks for your ideas. Other opinions help sometimes. GPT

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Well I can tell you not to bother with the Kelly blue book as most financial institutions use the NADA book value for car loans. There is also a 'collector vehicle' book they can go off, but I'm not sure if the Mystic would fall into that book or not. I know the R's are in there.

Being the car is 5+ years old, and if it isn't in the collector book, the loan length might only be 3-3.5 years max. If they are in the collector book, the loan lengths can be longer.

Good luck with your hunt!

93LITE

Established Member
I am a Lucky Guy!! I purchased a great 96 Mystic on Sat. Thanks for your imput on the pricing. I'll be around asking more questions in the future, I'm sure.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Wow... you didn't waste any time! Well congrats!!! Give us the details... What color it? :lol1:

Were you aware that alot of '96's had a cooling problem? Do you know if this car had it addressed under warranty?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Congratulations

I'm glad you found what you wanted. I hope you will be very happy with this wonderful car. The paint is the coolest. You may want to have the rear swaybar checked also. Some cars had a problem with it braking, the fix is a 98 rear swaybar. Keep us posted and welcome aboard!!

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
GR8 brings up a good point...
If you're driving along at some point and you hear a 'clunking' or 'banging' in the rear, first thing to check is the swaybar.
That was a problem for '94-'97.
Somehow mine is still okay?? That'll be what goes on mine this next year.....
:cuss:

93LITE

Established Member
Thanks for all your suggestions, the Cobra is lots of colors, 7 or 8 I think. It only has 22,000 miles, stock except for some suspension things. It has not had the cooling upgrade, the previous owner didn't want it messed with, he had had no problems. I have not had much time to play with it yet, getting kinda cold here in IL. I'm sure I'll be around alot in the future. Thanks again, GPT

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by 93LITE
Thanks for all your suggestions, the Cobra is lots of colors, 7 or 8 I think. It only has 22,000 miles, stock except for some suspension things. It has not had the cooling upgrade, the previous owner didn't want it messed with, he had had no problems. I have not had much time to play with it yet, getting kinda cold here in IL. I'm sure I'll be around alot in the future. Thanks again, GPT

Awesome, enjoy that very rare find.

93LITE

Established Member
One question I have, is on tires. I know alot of guys put Cobra R wheels on but I'm going to wait and find something alittle different. But in the mean time, the rear tires look like they should be on a Pinto. Have any of you put larger tires on the rear stock wheels to fillup the fenders more? If so what size will do the trick?
Thanks, GPT

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Don't go wider than a 255 on the stock 8 inchers. You can use a 275 DR but it bulges quite a bit.

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
IS it unsafe to put 275/45's on a 8 inch rim? I was just about to buy some to replace the 255 Nitto555's that are on it now. I thought the rear tires were a bit anemic too. I like the look of the 96 Cobra wheels enough that changing them would be outta the question for me. Lemme know, please.

Alex

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
I believe it's within manufactures specs to use a 275 with a 8-in. rim, but the 245 or 255 will perform better on a 8-in. rim. The 275 will perform better on at least a 9-in. rim. For the rears a 275 will be okay... I have the 275 Nitto DR on the stock Cobra rears.

Users who are viewing this thread