Mysterious Creaking/Pop with Clutch Depress

SLOWBRA

Established Member
After running my Fiore firewall and Quadrant for 13yrs and 10K miles I snapped the end (near the quadrant) of my oem clutch cable on my 04. The car had 24K miles at the time and didn't give any signs of failure until it snapped.

Fast forward 2K miles and a year on a new OEM clutch cable and I'm hearing some creaking and feeling a pop when depressing the clutch pedal. The noises are definitely coming from under the dash and are intermittent. There are times I can drive without any noise. Then once the noises start it will stays for a bit.

Due to some health issues I can't crawl under there at this moment to get a closer look, but I have taken a phone video for your viewing pleasure. I'm curious if anyone has experienced this before and has suggestions.

Last edited:

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Did you put spacers on to keep the quadrant lined up with the cable?

The Fiore came with one spacer and it is installed. I have to go back and see if I added any more than that. I do wonder about the alignment though - Maximum Motorsports provides more washers (thicker) than the Fiore included spacer. It does make me wonder. Definitely will check that out.

Rambro

Established Member
I've dealt with the same issue. I sanded down all sharp edges on the upr quadrant, tried washers and it was still popping. Also, I have a triple hook, and when on the hook nearest to firewall it binds the cable bad. Middle hook is smooth. It can be a pain to get the cable aligned. I gave up on the washers, seems it works best without them on mine. You can also try to lube the cable with some grease or wd40

SLOWBRA

Established Member
As a next step I will be replacing all of the Fiore stuff with MM to see if that helps in anyway. The MM kit comes with washers, etc. and a solid set of instructions - so perhaps that will help.

Users who are viewing this thread