My winter modding...

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
Well, I enjoy construction/carpentry work as a hobby kinda. So, I decided to start yet another project. Since the family is growing and we are in desperate need of room to get these damn kids toys out from every room in our main living space I decided to gut the nasty finished basement we have. Make sure you stay tuned as I will be updating pics as I get through this project.

As you can see in the before pics, the basement is a nasty dark paneling. I took out the nasty insulated drop ceiling already. I am leaving the bathroom down there as is cause that is a project in itself. Seems as though someone before us at some point used this basement as a kitchen. The basement is sectioned off weird with freakin cupboards everywhere. The wet bar is going going gone...no use for it.

The during pics show that I took out everything with the exception of the bathroom walls and the wall sectioning off the furnace and the water heater. I need to straighten out the electrical, add electrical, network, and speaker. I plan on putting full surround in a section of the basement with HD and LCD flat panel. The walls are going to be top half drywall and bottom half t-111 wood. Everything is going to be insulated as well. The floor will be leveled off with floor level and finished with hard wood laminate. I will probably put the plan drawing too.

Anyways..here is what my winter and next 6ish months are going to consist of.

http://www.bnscoogan.com/Basement_Remodel.asp

Last edited:

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
That was a weird setup before you gutted it.
Should be sweet when your done.

JP

CobraSVT657

Established Member
If you need a hand with anything let me know... I've done construction for years... Hmmmmmmm... sound like a good mod party:beer:

Jpjr

Established Member
Man Law: Must refinish basement or build deck at least once.

Bravo, I can't wait to do this whenever I buy a house. The basement is ideal because it starts as an afterthought and you can work on it without disrupting your life upstairs too much.

R-CODE

Established Member
We have a new home in west dearborn perfect for the family. 3 BR, 2.5 B, Finished Basement; yes finished basement, harwood floor in kitchen, Cent. Air, landscape, sprinkler system, 2 car garage.
Let me show it to you. The other new home sale pending (thank you God).
$234,900
Gotti

WhippleCharged Sonic

Established Member
R-CODE said:
We have a new home in west dearborn perfect for the family. 3 BR, 2.5 B, Finished Basement; yes finished basement, harwood floor in kitchen, Cent. Air, landscape, sprinkler system, 2 car garage.
Let me show it to you. The other new home sale pending (thank you God).
$234,900
Gotti

I wish I could, but we will be in this house for a while. I have gutted the kitchen, took the wall out between the kitchen and the dining room, gutted the bathroom and recently gutted the vestibule and remodeled all. The housing market blows as you know and I don't want to loose my ass. I am going to enjoy the house for a while cause I am far from done. We plan on staying for at least another 5 years. Hopefully I will be done with all of my projects and can sell it off for a bigger better house that does not need modding. :-D

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
Last house I lived in I finished the basement. Drywalled the ceiling and studded walls...put in a full bath...gym room...Bar.

It was a great project...took me about 3 months. I finished the day of my sons 1st birthday party...which was being held IN THE BASEMENT!!:eek: I did the mudding and sanding myself...which if I were to drywall again I would sub that work out!!! I was too damn meticulous about it. I had more powerized joint compound on the floor from over-sanding than I had on the friggin walls. I was having flashbacks of working with bondo on my no so rust free Mustangs of the past!!:bored:

Brent...do yourself a HUGE favor and sub out the mudding & sanding!!!!:thumbsup:

WhippleCharged Sonic

Established Member
Snakebite said:
Last house I lived in I finished the basement. Drywalled the ceiling and studded walls...put in a full bath...gym room...Bar.

It was a great project...took me about 3 months. I finished the day of my sons 1st birthday party...which was being held IN THE BASEMENT!!:eek: I did the mudding and sanding myself...which if I were to drywall again I would sub that work out!!! I was too damn meticulous about it. I had more powerized joint compound on the floor from over-sanding than I had on the friggin walls. I was having flashbacks of working with bondo on my no so rust free Mustangs of the past!!:bored:

Brent...do yourself a HUGE favor and sub out the mudding & sanding!!!!:thumbsup:

Nope...do that myself. Pretty good at it too. Like I said..I have gutted the above rooms and drywalled (with the exception of the kitchen..my brother-in-law did the mudding). The bathroom turned out pretty good. The wife picked a dark paint color so it shows every little imperfection. The vestibule turned out emaculate though. Practice makes perfect. The bathroom was my first which there are things I would have done differently, but know I am very comfortable with it.

Last edited:

WhippleCharged Sonic

Established Member
Oh, and I would like to host a MCT BBQ shindig this spring/summer when I am finally finished and have the room so stay tuned on that one too.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Looks like fun Brent. I'm doing a little of the same this winter although the drywall is 95% done in the basement already.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Done too much construction in the past, I will just wish you good luck, lol

My basement is setup oddly but we have adapted to it.
40% Guns/Hunting
15% Laundry/pantry
45% Gaming/Rec room/kids toys

Three seperate locked rooms.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Established Member
Updated a few pics in the "During"

BTW, one of the best damned tools I ever bought was the one that uses .22 shells to shoot nails into concrete and steel. This thing is BADASS! Put on some hearing and eye protection and it feels like I am at the range for christs sake!

Last edited:

FreSh03Gt

Established Member
I have done this MOD in the past as well.

BEFORE:

126882.jpg

126883.jpg

126884.jpg

AFTER:

126885.jpg

126886.jpg

126887.jpg

Sanding SUCKS!

WhippleCharged Sonic

Established Member
FreSh03Gt said:
I have done this MOD in the past as well.

BEFORE:

126882.jpg

126883.jpg

126884.jpg

AFTER:

126885.jpg

126886.jpg

126887.jpg

Sanding SUCKS!

Nice, looks like you have taller ceilings. The older houses suck and have 7ft then you lose more for duct work and whatnot. Sanding ain't that bad...just wear a mask!!! I hate sucking up the dust then the mixture of shit you cough out..

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
don't buy studs from home depot... that crap is so warped.. worthless

I got some at Lowes and they were straight with a lot less knots in them.. i wish i had known that from the beginning

I'm building a room right now which will have a projector and 5.1 surround.. I already wired the room for component, svideo, composite, cable coax, vga, network, etc

you could always go projection...
130 inch screen
1005007fi5.jpg

here's 100 inches
0000005pq3.jpg

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
WhippleCharged Sonic said:
BTW, one of the best damned tools I ever bought was the one that uses .22 shells to shoot nails into concrete and steel. This thing is BADASS! Put on some hearing and eye protection and it feels like I am at the range for christs sake!

Remington .22 Powder tool here too. Gunpowder and carpentry go very well together.

BANG,POW!!!!!!

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
don't buy studs from home depot... that crap is so warped.. worthless

I guess it depends on which home depot. I just bought 90 2 x 4's and they were fairly straight. If you're a good framer you can put up walls square and plumb with bent wood.
Edit: I know what you're saying though, I have seen the death warped 2x4's before @ home depot.

Last edited:

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
plan b said:
I guess it depends on which home depot. I just bought 90 2 x 4's and they were fairly straight. If you're a good framer you can put up walls square and plumb with bent wood.

well i'm not so i need the straight studs :lol1:

these things were off at least 2 inches from end to end

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
BlownShift said:
well i'm not so i need the straight studs :lol1:

these things were off at least 2 inches from end to end

The lady driving that car in you're avatar could help you straighten them out.
She's one hell of a load.:-D

Users who are viewing this thread