My wheel sounds like a squeaky hinge

qkslvr221

Established Member
When driving, my front right wheel makes a rhythmic high-pitched squeaking noise that speeds up when driving at faster speeds.
Strange thing is, whenever I apply the breaks, the noise completely goes away.
Now I had this caliper replaced about 3 months back, but when I inspected it nothing seemed out of place.

Thanks guys :rockon:

EDIT: forgot to add, the pads didn't seem to be worn, had them replaced with the caliper.

Last edited:

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
mine makes all kinds of noises only when i turn left though ...just turn the radio up...it makes all mine go away...:coolman:

qkslvr221

Established Member
1997cobrasvt said:
mine makes all kinds of noises only when i turn left though ...just turn the radio up...it makes all mine go away...:coolman:

Mine does it ALL the time! I can really hear it echoing with the top down. Damn right about the radio though, thats how I drown that sucker out :lol:

Blaster77

Established Member
I have the same problem with my front right wheel. Sounds like the ball joint is about shot, but I tested it by shaking the wheel in all directions while on the jack and it doesn't make any noise. Checked the sway bar, not loose or noisy. But everytime i speed up it makes that clunk like something is loose or rubbing.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Go to the parts store and get a $.99 tube of synthetic caliper lube.
Take brakes apart and grease the guide pins and the ends of the pads where they rest in the caliper brackets.

Basicly grease eveywhere metal touches metal.
Thank me later.

qkslvr221

Established Member
I don't think it's the bearing since it goes away when I apply the brakes.
STAMPEDE I will definitely try your suggestion. Are the caliper brackets rubbing on the pads the wrong way?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Not the wrong way but rubbing yes.

The pads rest in the holder. The rotor (Which is not perfect) has a slight warp to it makes the pads bove back and forth a little in the bracket.
Metal on metal contact with slight movement= chirp or squeek.

Hitting the brakes makes it stop.

I grease every brake job I do and never have them come back for the squeek.

Users who are viewing this thread